How to move emails to an Outlook folder while retaining access online

(18 Posts)
MmeLindor Fri 19-Apr-13 21:48:12

I would like to save my emails to the hard drive of the computer, so that I can work offline. When I move the mails to a folder, they are deleted on my email account, so that I cannot access them again.

I know that my DH's company mails are set up that he can pull them over to his harddrive, but still access on iPhone, so it must be possible to do this.

It's in the settings in Outlook. Hang on back in a mo ....

Do you mean in outlook? Or are you using something else? Like a separate file on the computer?

Because outlook is easy to do, otherwise, you need to set up a .pst file.

I think grin

Or can you just open the email then right click it and "save as" - save it as a webpage and use your web browser to open it?

MmeLindor Fri 19-Apr-13 21:59:52

I mean in Outlook, as a pst file (I think)

I want to be able to pull all my mails across to a set of files (theory is that they will all be in their neat folders but I'd be happy if they were in one place to begin with!)

But still accessible from mail account.

or can you highlight the email in outlook, the click the file tab at the top, then "save as"? Or does that not work?

<prays frantically for someone techie to arrive soon>

MmeLindor Fri 19-Apr-13 22:12:32

Hmm, that works, but I can't work on the email within Outlook.

Do I have the impression that you are wishing you had never answered my thread?

grin moi? wink

MmeLindor Fri 19-Apr-13 22:20:22

thanks wine for helping though.

I think I know what you want to do, but I can work offline using my outlook so I am a bit confused as to why you would want to save the emails?

MmeLindor Fri 19-Apr-13 22:41:04

Hmm. Good question. Cause DH keeps telling me that I am doing it wrong, so I thought there was a better way.

I need to move the mails out of Inbox and into some kind of folder system so that I can find them. Have done this recently but then discovered that when they are in "Archive", that they are deleted from email client, which is no use.

NetworkGuy Sun 21-Apr-13 05:13:54

I was hunting about to try to find answers for this. Perhaps you can clarify what OS and mail application you're using?

I remember (from years ago on Windows XP) that Outlook Express, the "cut down" (but more reliable and less unfriendly) mail application based on MS Outlook, allowed a user to create local folders.

I always recommended my clients create 4 folders per year so they might have had 2005Q1 2005Q2 etc and "copy" mail messages to the appropriate folder so they had copies of everything they wanted, filed by year/quarter but in small enough folders that could be archived individually onto external drives or USB sticks (because the danger is that with a single massive file, a hard drive corruption or failure could lose every item).

I'm guessing that this is what you are after. However the '' 'answers' I've seen are for either (a) single messages or (b) copying the whole mail archive file (not groups of messages from the mail server to a 'local' mail folder).

Since MS Outlook Express has been replaced by Microsoft Mail (I'm guessing that's what you're using) it looks as if the facility hasn't been included... BICBW

My thinking would be to download Mozilla Thunderbird and use that as well as whatever you are using but use Thunderbird to make archive copies of important mail. It's what I plan to do when more of my business mail will need to be archived (at present I just leave it on GMail as the majority isn't important enough to need to be archived).

tribpot Sun 21-Apr-13 06:33:08

Can you set the folder up online? Depending on your settings this should then replicate to your Outlook, although you may not be able to move mails into it both through the mail client on your desktop and online.

Company emails will behave differently from a home account unless you are using certain email systems like Gmail. So I would ignore helpful advice from your DH that you're doing it wrong smile

MmeLindor Mon 22-Apr-13 10:33:43

Thank you, I will ignore DH. Very good advice.

Not Outlook Express. I have Outlook Professional 2010, using a mix of gmail, and other mail accounts.

Trib has explained that brilliantly grin

I have outlook on my laptop and I use it online. I have, for example, separate folders in Outlook for each of my clients, sub-divided into projects. These are the same in Outlook on the computer and online so even if my computer went pfft I'd still get access to the emails.

MmeLindor Mon 22-Apr-13 10:44:41

Yes, that is what I have done now. I have created folders in my main account (the one) and am saving mails in there.

Think the issue is that I have mails from 4 different email accounts, which I would like to archive in one place. Confusing myself now.

Set up your outlook online so all the mail from all the accounts goes to your outlook account - you can do that I don't remember how but you can

tribpot Mon 22-Apr-13 13:41:32

Right so you want to have the mails all stored online and offline? In the same folder structure? From multiple mail accounts.

The simplest way to achieve this is to use one of your accounts as the storage point for all the others; Gmail will certainly allow you to do this in a couple of different ways. Presumably you want an email which comes to your account to be replied to using the same account?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now