Google Chrome on Windows 8 - new Window?

(14 Posts)
RaisingGirls Tue 09-Apr-13 17:41:22

YES it works! Thanks so much! smile

BertieBotts Mon 08-Apr-13 16:39:09

Oh in fact it's not a different version, it's just two "modes" - here

BertieBotts Mon 08-Apr-13 16:38:25

There are two versions of Chrome for windows 8. You can download the version which supports multiple windows.

I see what you mean if you have dual monitors smile

RaisingGirls Mon 08-Apr-13 16:24:14

Weirdly there's no tab split button.
The only new window option I have is the Incognito window, but even that opens in the same window iyswim.

I like to use more than one window so I can see two screens at once. For example, I can have facebook open to choose and download my photos for printing on Photobox which is open in another window. There are 2 monitors (don't ask!!) so I could see both.

I might go back to firefox.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Mon 08-Apr-13 12:01:25

Same should work in Windows 7

widowerbutok Mon 08-Apr-13 12:00:50

Ahhh sorry, I have Windows 7

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Mon 08-Apr-13 12:00:38

The methods I described above definitely work, I regularly have multiple Chrome windows open in Windows 8.

Did you try grabbing one of the tabs within chrome (the ones at the top of the window) and pulling it away from its position. This is a chrome feature which allows you to separate a chrome tab from its current window. this shows you how.

widowerbutok Mon 08-Apr-13 11:58:34

What I do is go down to the Chrome icon in the task bar at the bottom of the screen, right click and click on the New Window option. Hope that helps

BertieBotts Mon 08-Apr-13 11:35:28

That will probably just re-open the same window.

I don't know if it will be possible. Why do you need a new window?

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Mon 08-Apr-13 11:33:09

How about heading back to the Start screen and selecting Chrome again from there?

RaisingGirls Mon 08-Apr-13 10:22:19

Nothing at all happens when you try to open Chrome again, and the tab just slides from side to side.

RaisingGirls Mon 08-Apr-13 10:21:12

Neither of those works! sad

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Sun 07-Apr-13 21:35:39

You can right click the Chrome icon on the task bar and select Chrome again, or you can add a new tab, then grab that tab and pull it away from the top of the window to create a new window.

RaisingGirls Sun 07-Apr-13 20:02:56

How do I get a new window in Google Chrome?

Ctrl N just opens a new tab and googling (ironically) only seems to suggest this as an answer. I wondered if it might be because we are running Windows 8.

Has anyone managed to do this, and if so, how?
Thanks, MNGeeks! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now