How are you keeping your dc safe on the laptop/iPad - parental controls etc.

(9 Posts)

Thanks everyone, I have some options now smile

NetworkGuy Sat 06-Apr-13 20:56:19

s/has protecting installed /has protection software installed

Sorry, typing too fast. Must have a break from the machines!

NetworkGuy Sat 06-Apr-13 20:54:51

> OpenDNS < offers free (and paid for, but at US$ 20/year not very costly) parental control options.

> They include filtering for the whole household < including things using your router Wi-Fi signal. Not sure if they include blocks on all categories, not an area I've researched.

The "Home Access" scheme providing systems for low income families has protecting installed which blocked gambling sites, self harm, racist, and even slimming/dieting {eating disorders and so forth} sites as options... I can try to find the name (as it's on one of the second hand laptops I got on Ebay, somewhat to my annoyance as it would not let me use Chrome browser!)

We use a double whammy of Kaspersky parental controls and Windows Family Safety. I like the latter because the control is on each child's account rather than being dependent on the machine or gadget they are using.

YY Meditrina - I wasn't expecting software to do my job, I will be around when dc are using the pc but just an extra layer of protection. Dd is going to secondary school next year and will have a phone so I'll need to have strong words about any image she texts/puts on t'internet should be something she wouldn't mind anyone seeing, oh the joy!
I'll have a look at K9 - I hadn't heard of that, thanks thanks

meditrina Sat 06-Apr-13 20:33:33

Try the K9 free software, keep computers in communal areas and hover from time to time; and remember that no tech means is going to give the level of protection one would hope for. Ultimately, the "defence" is in educating DCs about the dangers of questionable content, whether violent, sexual or whatever.

And another one...

Shameless bump.

Dh and I CANNOT get a handle on the BT family protection package, the website just sends us round and round in circles. It's really frustrating. I will contact them by phone to see if I can get it activated but as dc get more interested in looking at the Internet - both have recently had research projects from school - how can else can I try and keep them safe?

Obviously I am around if they are using the Internet but if I am, for example, cooking tea rather than sitting right next to them it only takes one click to find something I'd rather they didn't see yet.

Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now