Please help me choose a device - sorry I expect this happens all the time!

(13 Posts)
SomeRainbow Wed 03-Apr-13 20:50:55

OK, so really I just want something to do limited web browsing. Enough to get by when a n other is using the pc. I don't need to email or type documents. I do not need to do fancy editing. Opportunity to read online books might be good, but not essential. Personally I don't want to play games, but ds 6 would probably love that option. And on that point, it must be robust enough for him to use. Mostly will be used in the home rather than out and about. I have read lots of stuff online but am still rather confused. Any ideas?

Well either a tablet or a netbook would be suitable for you.

Choose a netbook if you aren't fussed about size of the screen but want a fixed keyboard for faster typing and the desktop software like windows and office applications in case you need to create documents etc.

Or a tablet. You don't need to necessarily fork out for the ipad but get a cheaper range considering what you want to use it for.

One thing to note if you do not need to buy something top end forget about all the massive GB because what you want to do you need huge amounts of space.

Personally I'd go for the tablet because you can take it out and about if you ever need to - on a long train or car journey, children can play games in the car etc.

Here are two very good tablet options - you may prefer the Kindle Fire
because you can buy books via Amazon yet you also have the ability to use the Kindle Fire for web browsing - might need to check on games. http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/kindle-fire-7-hd-tablet-16-gb-18326928-pdt.html

Or another tablet at a reasonable price is the Samsung http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-7-tablet-8-gb-with-class-10-microsdhc-memory-card-8-gb-21307851-pdt.html

Good thing here is you can expand memory if you need to. This will allow you to read books, play games download apps. Runs like a smartphone in essence.

Obviously whatever you decide check around for prices to get the best deal.

Hope that helps.

Argh typo meant to say One thing to note if you do not need to buy something top end forget about all the massive GB because what you want to do you don't* need huge amounts of space.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Wed 03-Apr-13 22:18:29

Ok, don't get a netbook, apart from being old news they tend to be very slow compared to the alternatives.

If you really only want it for Web browsing and the odd game, you might be better off with a Chromebook for the same sort of money.

Good point Pedro

Waferthinmint Wed 03-Apr-13 22:37:54

iPad.
No competition

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Thu 04-Apr-13 03:14:20

You really don't need an iPad for the tasks you've identified. They are overpriced slabs anyway let alone if you won't actually use most of what they do.

SomeRainbow Thu 04-Apr-13 18:13:42

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd decided that I didn't really need an iPad, just not necessary. I think I might manage with the Kindle Fire, but as it is a spare device for all to use it would probably be better to go for something like the Samsung galaxy or maybe the Chromebook. Can't decide if I need the keyboard or not....

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Thu 04-Apr-13 19:29:18

Not sure if this helps or not, but I have an Asus Transformer Pad TF300 which is a tablet with detachable keyboard. I find the keyboard REALLY useful sometimes even though I don't do a lot of typing on it, sometimes it's just nice to be able to use it like a laptop.

I'm not suggesting that as an option (although you might want to have a look for comparisons sake!) but the point is that physical keyboards can be worth having and you never know what you might end up doing on the device in the future!

Most tablets will have a keyboard to dock your tablet into so check out the accessories available.

PinkCanary Thu 04-Apr-13 19:53:04

There are lots to choose from, and places like Argos and tesco offer products in a broad range of prices so there are some absolute bargains to be had. Don't do what we did though and buy some random product of amazon. It sounded fab but when it arrived it Turned out to be a far eastern import that was a right faff to use! So if you can try before you buy then do.

Anything that runs off an android based system will be very similar to Galaxy Tab. (I have an Asus Transformer too on android) however for easy use, entertaining children etc i love our iPad. However, bear in mind that its complicated to convert films into the correct digital format to play on apple devices unless they've been purchased from iTunes.

Have you decided if you'd prefer a 7" or 10" screen as that cuts down your options.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 05-Apr-13 09:45:57

Most tablets will have a keyboard to dock your tablet into so check out the accessories available.

Actually they don't. There are plenty of bluetooth keyboards available but that's not the same as an actual docking keyboard.

SomeRainbow Fri 05-Apr-13 09:53:48

I do definitely know that I want a 10" or near enough rather than smaller, this is primarily an 'at home' device. So that's one thing decided.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now