How much data do you actually use?

(32 Posts)
Schooldidi Sat 30-Mar-13 00:08:47

I'm looking for a new mobile phone contract as mine runs out soon. I currently have an ancient phone that doesn't do internet at all, so don't have any idea how much data people would use.

I am imagining that I would maybe use it for mumsnet mostly, and some games on fb sometimes, but how much data would that use in a month? Bearing in mind that I will be at work most of the time and have internet access on the laptop anyway so I won't be constantly on the phone. Do I go for a cheapish tariff with about 250mb, or stretch the extra couple of £ per month for unlimited data?

And any advice about a good smartphone to start with would be great too. I would imagine I want to use it play games mostly blush, and would like it to have a gps so I can use it to try out geocaching.

NetworkGuy Sat 30-Mar-13 22:43:54

Theas18 I think I envy you your Galaxy Note... smile

NetworkGuy Sat 30-Mar-13 22:44:55

Schooldidi - do make sure you have a GMail account as it's one of the first things you need to enter to use the App Store...

Schooldidi Sat 30-Mar-13 23:10:31

Theas I really wanted a Galaxy Note but can't really justify that sort of cash on a phone right now. A few of the kids at school have it and they all seem to really love it. I don't know how all of their parents seem to afford to get them the latest phones all the time.

NetworkGuy Thu 04-Apr-13 16:13:50

Schooldidi - by the way, if you search for an App called Box (it's a web storage service similar to 'copy.com' or 'dropbox.com' at www.box.com), install it, and sign up as a new user, then (as a Sony Xperia owner) you will be upgraded free from 5 GB to 50 GB of storage.

Schooldidi Thu 04-Apr-13 16:27:41

thanks networkguy, it arrivedyesterdayand I'm really loving it. I'm posting from it right nowsmile
I'll have a look for that box app.

NetworkGuy Thu 04-Apr-13 17:32:54

Glad it arrived and you're happy. Have to say that after a full week of use, am still impressed and happy, myself...

Something I noticed straight away was how the 'lock' doesn't block everything... so if I have radio playing {TuneIn Radio Pro} I can pause it without needing to 'unlock', and if things like e-mail arrive, then I can drag the status bar down the screen and open the mail, again without having to 'unlock' first...

NetworkGuy Sun 12-May-13 13:29:23

Hope you're still happy, Schooldidi... On Friday I bought myself another Tipo (on T-Mobile) as my year-old Huawei, which I had dropped a few times recently, suddenly decided I had an invalid or missing SIM so I was stuck with an "unlimited everything" account and no way to make a call!

The phone was fine 2 hours earlier, on Thursday, as I watched the lunchtime news in a coffee bar, but then died when I was half way home and about to ring my sister (as she was planning to visit Friday).

It did take visits to 3 shops, and I was lucky as it was the last they had in the store room...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now