Just got a new Tablet , what do I need to do? ?

(8 Posts)

Just got a Tablet Alcatel evo 7 , I'm a complete novice so needing a bit of guidance on what security & apps to download, also how is best to keep it safe etc iyswim

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Mon 25-Mar-13 15:09:07

I must admit, having owned several smartphones and tablets, I've never once put any virus protection on them.

Whether that's sensible or not, I've never worried about it and never had any problems.

aladdinsane Mon 25-Mar-13 16:00:33

I just put the free Norton on mine
A geeky friend told me that you rarely get viruses because hackers hate Microsoft so usually target them

OK thanks

NetworkGuy Mon 25-Mar-13 16:33:22

There's "AVG Free" which I've put on Android phones and my tablet.

Other Apps will depend on what you are wanting to do with the tablet?

NetworkGuy Mon 25-Mar-13 16:35:35

@aladdinsane - hackers may hate Microsoft but they're not top of the tablet (or mobile phone) league. Anything which gets millions of users can be a target... As Windows is popular, it gets attacked. There have been attacks on other systems, and despite what some say, even Apple kit can be hit by malware.

aladdinsane Mon 25-Mar-13 21:41:12

OK thanks networkguy
Do you think the free Norton is enough?

NetworkGuy Tue 26-Mar-13 00:18:55

It's certainly better than nothing.

With Windows systems, I tend to scan once a quarter with Trend-Micro's Housecall (run from the browser, downloads a bit of software, scans your system, reports results in the browser), even though I generally have AVG and get it to scan and update every day.

It's always possible some 'nasty' will be spotted by one firm and takes a while to be detected by another anti-virus, and as they may name the same thing differently (because they are often similar to some previously identified malware) it's sometime confusing if one AV calls it different to another... but if it's detected and can be removed, that's a part of the battle won, anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now