Can I edit documents on an iPad?

(15 Posts)
megandraper Mon 25-Mar-13 08:22:26

Going away next week and have some work I need to take with me - basically a large Apple Pages document that I need to keep editing while I'm away.

Can I somehow transfer the document (currently on my Mac) to my iPad and can I edit it while I'm away and then transfer it back to my Mac when I'm back.

Must be possible, surely....

Ra88 Mon 25-Mar-13 08:28:45

I can email myself something and edit it in quick office , try that it what about the app called pages ? My bil used that work invoices etc to use over Allan devices

megandraper Mon 25-Mar-13 08:44:36

My document is in Pages, Rs88 - but how do I get it on to the iPad?

tribpot Mon 25-Mar-13 09:13:01

You need the Pages app on the iPad. Or you could upload it to Google drive and then convert it back to Pages when you're back, but if it's a complex document I would fork out for Pages I think.

Yes, I had that problem when trying to get my docs into iCloud (to see on my iphone). You actually need Pages on both devices, then you can upload to iCloud and can then pull them from that onto your ipad. Fortunately Pages is cheap : )

SoupDreggon Mon 25-Mar-13 09:17:56

Dropbox allows you to access documents form many devices.

SoupDreggon Mon 25-Mar-13 09:18:40

(but I agree you need Pages on the iPad)

megandraper Mon 25-Mar-13 10:08:53

I don't really want iCloud - because I don't want documents just transferring willy nilly between the devices (I expect it is more complicated than that, but you know what I mean). The iPad is shared among all the family - don't want my work documents just getting copied across unless I specifically do it.

This will sound stupid - but how do I get Pages on the iPad? I don't mind paying if it's reasonable, just don't know how I do it.

ceeveebee Mon 25-Mar-13 10:12:15

There is an app, you only get basic editing/formatting functions and you have to pay for it but its just a couple of quid as I recall.

megandraper Mon 25-Mar-13 10:17:00

Do I download the app on my computer and then connect the iPad to my computer?

Hedgepig Mon 25-Mar-13 10:20:38

You have to connect to the App store from your ipad, then buy Pages from the App store.

megandraper Mon 25-Mar-13 10:22:40

Okay, will try that later. Many thanks.

With icloud, you have to actively upload docs, well I do anyway, log in on Mac and choose which one. Presume you can opt in/out of what to upload via settings.

megandraper Wed 27-Mar-13 08:57:31

I loaded Pages on the iPad for £6.99 (which was a bit of a palaver, as I had to update the ipad software first, and then found i'd forgotten my apple password etc. but got there in the end)

Now it's really easy - I can just identify particular documents that I want to share between Mac and iPad. Hurrah! Thank you all for help.

Have also loaded up Kindle software and am taking some Kindle books away with me too, finally beginning to use ipad to a fraction of its potential, i think....

Glad you got it sorted smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now