Minecraft advice please?

(11 Posts)
CookieM0nster Wed 20-Mar-13 13:51:33

Both my DD love Minecraft in Creative mode (nearly 4 & 6 yo) It's a bit like Lego in 3D. It's creative and teaching them physics, I heartily approve of it.

My youngest builds towers, staircases, statues, gardens, swimming pools - is extremely creative and when my eldest gets home from school she loves to see what her sister has built. They even leave messages for each other on the walls inside buildings, (I spell the words for my 3yo). However they don't like playing survival mode, they love the freedom creative mode affords them without the tension of nightfall bringing the zombies! I am pleased about this, otherwise I would insist they stay in creative mode for now.

Google it - there's a lot of people working collaboratively with amazing things they have built online. My favourite is the Game of Thrones cities which have been recreated with painstaking detail.

soimpressed Mon 11-Mar-13 22:34:53

My DS is 8 and he's scared of the survival mode - I think it's because you can get killed. I know his friends play on it though. He still has lots of fun on creative though. He usually has 15 minutes and seems happy with that although he does sometimes ask for a bit more if he is very involved.

Donki Mon 11-Mar-13 22:29:54

YOu can do almost anything in Creative mode that you can do in survival. It is just that the monsters don't attck you. (As I understand it - DS(10) is the expert, not me).

HOWEVER - it is very addictive absorbing - DS would spend his entire life hours playing minecraft if he was allowed to.

You have been warned!

birdsofshore Fri 08-Mar-13 08:29:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Naoko Thu 07-Mar-13 21:27:46

You do have to fight things in survival mode. However, this is nothing like your typical video game violence. For example, this is what a Minecraft zombie looks like. There's also other things that might attack you like Creepers or Spiders. If you object to any form of fighting in games, fair enough, but this really is no graphical gorefest. Minecraft's heavily simplified graphics are a masssive part of its attraction.

PandaG Thu 07-Mar-13 21:25:09

DS is 13 and plays creative quite a bit, and does enjoy it. WOuld agree a half hour block is enough to do something meaningful, but is easy to spend much longer if allowed.

In survival mode it is really non-violent. If you kill a zombie (use a sword, bow or your fist) it just turns red (no blood etc). If you get killed screen turns a bit red, you fall down, and the respawn menu comes up. I don't want DS playing violent games but I'm happy with this. He plays online with friends, and it is very cooperative building constructions together.

MeDented Thu 07-Mar-13 21:17:47

Not sure DS is in bed now but will ask him tomorrow. I just get asked to go and look at his houses and contraptions and pretend to look interested! Doesn't make much sense to me but its actually getting quite impressive now, he is learning all sorts of scientific / mechanical stuff from it.

birdsofshore Thu 07-Mar-13 20:37:37

MeDented Thu 07-Mar-13 20:27:09

Yep, DS (9) only plays in creative mode, also watches YouTube vids on how to make things, he makes some pretty impressive stuff using pistons and the like. They do get very absorbed though

3mum Thu 07-Mar-13 20:23:36

My DS (10) has confirmed that creative mode on Minecraft is exactly as you describe. He thinks you need at least 15-20 minute blocks to make something worthwhile (so may be half an hour when getting used to it). Hope that helps!

birdsofshore Thu 07-Mar-13 18:20:18

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now