I want to buy a Raspberry Pi

(8 Posts)
JenaiMorris Tue 05-Mar-13 18:25:12

Ostensibly it's as an educational tool to be shared with 12yo ds. But actually it's for me because I want to play.

DS isn't terribly interested in geekery but in a stern manner I think he ought to learn about Proper Computing.

Does anyone have any experience of cajoling such a child away from the Xbox and Roblox and towards something less on-a-plate? He quite liked Scratch but was a bit "meh".

ProPerformer Tue 05-Mar-13 18:57:34

No experience with that, but just popped on to say my DH has a raspberry pi and my cousin has 2!! They're FABULOUS and I'm thinking of getting one for myself and I've never really been in to 'computer geekery' before!

JenaiMorris Tue 05-Mar-13 19:26:35

Ace. I'm getting one for me smile

NetworkGuy Wed 06-Mar-13 01:16:53

To be fair, unless someone is keen to learn programming, it's a bit of a Marmite subject, I'd have thought, just like learning violin, or doing ballet !

If DS isn't terribly interested, then it may be a brick wall you're about to hit your head on. I would not 'push' it, and even having programmed off and on for 30 years I don't have one and right now am not desperate for one, but might one day if I get back to having plenty of savings in the bank (that mean I'll be able to get a penthouse in a block being refurbished near me, as soon as they're ready for viewings).

toothfairymummy Wed 06-Mar-13 01:26:54

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

JenaiMorris Wed 06-Mar-13 08:26:19

Interesting, thank you.

I'm going to take him along to a Raspberry Pi event soon, see if it inspires him at all.

I still fancy one for me though!

CuttedUpPear Wed 06-Mar-13 08:32:27

Where is the Raspberry Pi event? My DS might be interested.

JenaiMorris Wed 06-Mar-13 08:39:22

I'll pm you (think it might be quite small and don't want to out myself) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now