iPod Touch question

(5 Posts)
thebestpossibletaste Tue 05-Mar-13 15:06:08

My dd wants an iPod Touch for her birthday. I'm thinking of getting a 4th generation one but as we don't have any iphones or ipads in the house, just a classic iPod, I have a few questions about how she could use it and what I can stop her doing on it.

First of all I don't want to register a credit card as I don't want her to run up a bill on it for apps and music etc. I found this on the apple support site

support.apple.com/kb/ht2534

which seems to suggest I don't need to register a credit card to the Touch.

Also I don't want her to go on Facebook or even open another email account, as she currently has one we can monitor (only to stop spam mail, not to read her emails, obviously).

Does anyone have an iPod Touch or has set one up in a similar manner for their child and can advise?

Thanks smile

MTSgroupie Tue 05-Mar-13 18:27:11

With regards to CC question, the settings allows you to set it so that a password needs to be entered each time a purchase is made. Or you can buy an iTunes voucher if you want pre paid credit on the iTouch.

As for child proofing it, we pretty much rely on DS not to betray our trust so can't help you there.

You don't need a CC on the iTunes account. I took mine off on the off chance that Toad manages to get through the restrictions and passwords.

You can restrict apps etc.

Looking at my phone, you can restrict Safari, Explicit Language, itunes, Facetime and installing/deleting apps.

So in theory, you could restrict Apps so she can't download the FB app or any other browsers, restrict Safari to stop using the web version and set up the password to stop her downloading.

This is all in theory as my Toad is only interested in Youtube and a few games.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Wed 06-Mar-13 18:21:15

Does it have to be an iPod? If you get an Android based music player then you can have pretty much complete control over access rights to every part of the system due to Android's open nature allowing developers to produce highly sophisticated parental controls which you can't even dream about on Apple products.

thebestpossibletaste Wed 06-Mar-13 19:00:36

Pedro, I know, you are right. We are an android household but she is 11 and really wants an ipod Touch, it's not the first year she' s asked and she doesn't want anything else so I'm inclined to get her one and make her very happy smile

I think if I can put passwords on so she can't run up a huge bill and can't get on FB, it'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now