Ipad Mini V Nexus 7 (or Kindle Fire).

(19 Posts)

I'm looking at getting a tablet, and wondering which one to get.

I want to surf the web, look at FB, play the occasional film and have a couple of apps for my son to play on occasionally. Ideally I'd like it to be able to survive the occasional fall due to the aforementioned toddler.

Are they all the same? What would you advise for the above?

vertex Fri 01-Mar-13 18:00:28

Nexus 7

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 01-Mar-13 19:44:59

They are certainly not all the same.

iPad= overpriced and under specced
Kindle Fire=good bit of kit but locked to Amazon app store so a bit limited.
Nexus 7=Best small tablet on the market, excellent spec and runs pure Android.

Guess you can figure out what I'd recommend from that!

dinkystinky Fri 01-Mar-13 19:46:10

I love my nexus 7 - dh has an iPad which is fun but my nexus 7 is mine, mine, mine!

TheFallenNinja Fri 01-Mar-13 19:54:10

I've used them all but always go back to Apple. Forget this tosh about "overpriced", the other stuff just costs less, you gets what you pay for. Go to pc world and handle them. You'll see what I mean.

niceguy2 Fri 01-Mar-13 20:24:30

I don't think you can go wrong with either the ipad or the Nexus 7.

I'd discount the Kindle based on the fact it is locked to Amazon though.

The ipad is a bit pricier but on the tablet side, Apple is still the company to beat.

The Nexus is still an awesome tablet though.

Portofino Fri 01-Mar-13 20:27:24

Nexus 7.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 01-Mar-13 21:57:20

"the other stuff just costs less, you gets what you pay for."

Normally I'd agree, but it's not the case with Apple generally, their kit is always more expensive for the spec, plus they screw you on accessories too as none of their stuff is compatible with the rest of the world. Specifically with the iPad mini, it's 50% more expensive than its rivals and really doesn't offer anything more than "it's Apple"

Trills Fri 01-Mar-13 22:04:41

Do not get a Kindle Fire.

It is less good at reading books than an e-ink Kindle.

I is less good at everything else than another tablet.

So the nexus seems pretty popular. I must admit we have a lot of apple gear already, but after messing around with a friends iPad I'm not convinced of it all. I had an android phone and liked the freedom of the App Store over iTunes.

vertex Sat 02-Mar-13 00:15:54

Do not forget new iPads out in March and next generation Nexus rumoured to be released in May

kissmyheathenass Sat 02-Mar-13 00:19:44

I love, love LOVE my nexus. Costs much less than iPad and just as brilliant.

INeverSaidThat Sat 02-Mar-13 12:11:04

What other computers/phones do you have. If you have other Apple products then you might as well stick to Apple as they work together so effortlessly. We only have Apple now even though I know we overpay. It suits us as they are so easy to use and we have never had any go wrong. and they are shiny

We have IPads and they are amazing. We have had them since they first came out and they always work. I have never, once, had to even reset them.

If you buy a lower spec one the price is ok or you could buy an older model.

We have iPods and an iPhone, but apart from that everything else is non apple.

INeverSaidThat Tue 05-Mar-13 11:26:12

If you have an iPhone, I would recommend getting an IPad. I love the way they link together so effortlessly. All my photos/notes/music/contacts are on each device with no effort or 'setting up' to be done. I know you can do ths with mismatched products but it is easier to have them matching. Also rechargers etc the same.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Tue 05-Mar-13 15:12:19

The thing with Apple stuff linking up seamlessly is that Apple stuff only works with other Apple stuff. In my house we have Samsung and HTC phones and Asus and Kindle tablets all running Android, a laptop on Vista, a netbook on Win7 and a desktop on Win8 and everything which matters works seamlessly across all. Calendars, emails, etc with no effort.

KnitMinion Tue 05-Mar-13 15:15:06

Another vote for the Nexus 7 here. For me the iPads of either size are just the wrong dimensions to feel properly comfortable in my hands.

KnitMinion Tue 05-Mar-13 15:15:46

Another vote for the Nexus 7 here. For me the iPads of either size are just the wrong dimensions to feel properly comfortable in my hands.

INeverSaidThat Tue 05-Mar-13 19:19:22

It's true that with Apple it is best to either avoid or go in really wholeheartedly. It's a 'in for a penny in for loads and loads and loads of-- a pound(s)'.
You can make them work with other technology but it takes a bit more knowledge.
I

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now