Which e-reader should I get?

(12 Posts)
Slavetothechild Fri 01-Mar-13 23:12:22

Kindle paperwhite is brilliant . Got mine today !!! I also have the kindle fire but it needs more frequent charging and i am disorganied.

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 01-Mar-13 21:59:44

I think the Kindle Paperwhite is the most nearly perfect marriage of technology and purpose I have experienced. I just love everything about it. I would also recommend the cover that turns the screen off and on when opened and closed.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 01-Mar-13 21:49:06

I've seen Kindles on display in Tesco, Comet (before they closed), Staples and PC world. So there's definitely places you can try them out.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Fri 01-Mar-13 21:29:27

Being used to an iPad, I think I'd prefer a touchscreen. I'll pop into Tesco and have a play then smile

Naoko Fri 01-Mar-13 21:26:43

A lot of larger Tesco stores have demo models of the Kindles now actually alcibiades. DP and I bought ours in our local Tesco, you still get all the same Amazon warranties and you deal with Amazon if it breaks. It was good to be able to try them, the Paperwhite didn't exist then but DP got a basic one and I got a Touch based on trying the demo models (as I didn't like the clicky buttons and he didn't like the touchscreen - very much a personal preference thing).

alcibiades Fri 01-Mar-13 21:21:12

A few years ago I bought a Sony e-reader, which I didn't really get on with, partly because of the screen, and partly because of the limited availability of e-books. Last year I bought a basic Kindle, and obviously the availability of cheap e-books is much better. But I found that getting the balance of the right light and the right font got a bit annoying. So a few weeks ago, I bought a Kindle Paperwhite and it's wonderful - I feel I can go back to enjoying books again.

My eyesight isn't that bad (it's probably very good, considering I'm in my 60s), but I was finding that reading books, especially paperbacks with small, "thin" fonts, tiring after a short while. The font style and size on both the basic Kindle and the Paperwhite are adjustable, so I could increase the font size on the basic version to something more comfortable, but I'm a fast reader so it got a bit annoying to be constantly "turning the page". What I've found with the Paperwhite is that I can reduce the font size and so have more words on the screen but still have the same clarity.

My Paperwhite is currently my most favourite piece of techy gadgetry. wink

The only complaint I'd have about the Kindle range is that there's nowhere for people to go and actually have a look at them, to see if they'd suit their needs. Obviously, I've got money to fritter away in finding something that works for me, but the Paperwhite is just over £100, and that's a lot of money for a lot of people.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 01-Mar-13 19:47:25

You are best off with the Kindle paperwhite.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Fri 01-Mar-13 17:35:13

Ooh replies already! Yes it's the size. I'm dyslexic and my actual preferred size of font is around 16pt (so nice and big!). I don't think I really need a tablet, not with a shared iPad and a smart phone so maybe the Paperwhite is the best option.

Snog Fri 01-Mar-13 17:29:10

I have a paperwhite, it does the job, and so far so good although my previous 3G kindle was a crock of $hite!

Trills Fri 01-Mar-13 17:27:20

I would get a Kindle Paperwhite.

I would never get a Kindle Fire. If I wanted an e-reader I would get one with e-ink. If I wanted a tablet I would get a Nexus 7 or something from Samsung, and just put the Kindle app on it.

If you can't read books on your iphone think why - is it the size (in which caase you might want a tablet) or is it the shiny screen (in which case you want an e-ink e-reader).

HavingALittleFaithBaby Fri 01-Mar-13 17:25:45

Oh and I have an iPhone so I don't have to worry about Internet access too much but I've tried and can't read books on it!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Fri 01-Mar-13 17:23:35

(I know there's an e-reader section but I think there might be more traffic here).

We have an iPad that DH and both use. I have Christmas money I've still not spent (£100) and I was thinking of buying an e-reader. DC1 is due at the end of April. I can imagine DH uploading films to the iPad to use and me benefiting from having a separate e-reader to glance at books both during labour (if possible!) but also when I'm feeding, especially at night. I've never got into downloading books to the iPad because I'd feel like I was hogging it with the amount I read.

I figure if I get a Kindle I'd be better off with a Paperwhite so there's a night light but I don't know if I'm better off getting a basic e-reader like a Nook or splashing out on a Kindle fire? Or whether there's something else in the middle?

Help me decide!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now