Replacing screen on iphone???

(6 Posts)
janmoomoo Thu 28-Feb-13 22:45:32

Anyone done it? I dropped mine, it still works but the screen is shattered. Its an old iphone 3G which I love, and is ancient so not under any warranty. I have seen kits to do this but wondered if anyone had tried the do it yourself kits, or any other solutions???

janmoomoo Fri 01-Mar-13 10:05:11

Are there any shops that do it???

minicreamegg Fri 01-Mar-13 10:08:17

where I stay loads of shops do it, I put mine into the corner shop as the owner even does them too smile

hatchypom Fri 01-Mar-13 10:09:01

I've done it but its really fiddling and takes hours.

niceguy2 Fri 01-Mar-13 11:39:06

I've replaced a couple of 3GS screens which is very similar.

It can be done and my advice would be to get the screen & digitiser in one unit rather than just the glass screen. It's very fiddly to remove the shattered glass otherwise and you may end up damaging the LCD itself.

It's about £20 for the entire unit from ebay complete with tools to open up the unit.

Then you can go to Youtube and find lots of videos/tutorials on how to do the replacement. It's not actually that hard but the first time you do it of course you will be a bit slow.

But when all said and done you may want to call around some local independent phone shops which can take the hassle for you. A friend of mine was charged £35 for her repair which given the cost of the parts isn't a bad deal for someone to take the risk away.

janmoomoo Sun 03-Mar-13 22:42:25

Thanks all. Bit scared about doing the kit job myself. Might try and find a shop to do it. 35 quid is better than buying new phone, and I like my old skool one! Will have a hunt around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now