Raspberry Pi - got minecraft installed but how to link iPad to play thru TV?

(10 Posts)
MannishBoy Tue 26-Feb-13 16:12:27

Sorry I'm drooling over this thread. Massive amounts of want!

MarinaTheMarvellous Sat 23-Feb-13 23:04:10

AirPlay of video would be great, thanks! I will look into that.

Qubed Sat 23-Feb-13 09:21:39

Display iPad/iPhone/iPod video and music content can be done on a RPi using one of the excellent and free media centre versions of XBMC on the RPi, there's several distros (get another memory card to install!) XBian, RaspBMC and OpenElec, I believe all now have Airplay as a feature! Sadly you won't be able to AirPlay anything other than music/vids/pics, so no Minecraft I'm affraid!

NetworkGuy Thu 21-Feb-13 18:17:46

Need to find out from NobleGiraffe's DH, Waswondering...

Waswondering Wed 20-Feb-13 17:07:13

Oh, link please to the ipad/pi/tv thing?

MarinaTheMarvellous Wed 20-Feb-13 17:01:21

Thanks ... Yes it is Wheezy and yes was just chuffed at finding something to do with pi (minecraft) and looking for something else, saw the post on playing iPad movies via pi to TV and thought it would save me buying Apple TV!

NetworkGuy Wed 20-Feb-13 13:41:30

I was assuming the latter OP query was 'display' from iPad or play a movie stored on iPad, onto TV, and not necessarily to do with Minecraft, BICBW...

MrAnchovy Wed 20-Feb-13 12:18:25

Presumably that is Raspbian Wheezy rather than the software floating point Wheezy distro that has been around for longer (Minecraft will really suffer without hardware FP)?

A mobile phone connection will be too laggy for an acceptable server experience, can't you get an Ethernet or WiFi connection to broadband?

The only way I can think of attaching to a minecraft server on an iPad is using LogMeIn or a similar remote desktop app which would require a Windows client PC to attach to.

NetworkGuy Tue 19-Feb-13 13:05:28

probably best to send a private message to noblegiraffe since it is far from obvious to me what would need to be done - presumably her DH wrote s/w or found some suitable download to make the Pi capable of accessing files from the iPad (presumably using wireless to the home router and then a cable to the Pi)... I'm just guessing though, having neither an iPad nor a Pi.

MarinaTheMarvellous Mon 18-Feb-13 22:11:38

My DD is minecraft daft and persuaded me to download and install it on our raspberry pi. We haven't used the Pi for much to be honest but this got me using it again. I worked out how to connect it via mobile phone to Internet and upgraded so to Wheezy and got minecraft installed and running. NJust looking for other ideas and saw this thread - http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/geeky_stuff/1614553-RASPBERRY-PI-anyone-got-one-how-exactly-does-it-work

NobleGiraffe posted that DH got it playing iPad thru Pi to TV without buying Apple TV. I would love to know how to get that working!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now