Keep on having pop ups; how do I get rid of them?

(8 Posts)
gorionine Mon 11-Feb-13 11:05:29

You know the ones telling you "warning your computer is not performing" or "congratulation you are the winner of an Ipad blablabla!" ...
They are bright and flashy, the annoy me and when I try to close them (clicking on the cross top right corner) it opens them anyway!
Please is a a setting that does block them?

NetworkGuy Mon 11-Feb-13 11:29:15

What anti-virus software do you have, if any, and what operating system are you using, please (eg Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or 8, or something else...)?

Also, is this the web browser, or can these pop-ups appear after starting up the machine and not using the browser ?

BertieBotts Mon 11-Feb-13 11:38:38

Use a decent browser - Chrome or Firefox.

Also yy to virus scan if it's not only on your internet browser.

Is this on all websites or just certain ones?

gorionine Mon 11-Feb-13 12:37:00

Thanks for answering flowers

I have got windows 7, I use firefox and my antivirus thing is avast.

They appear randomly once I am on a website (currently the Mn one)

I need to make a note as to where else they appear, cannot think exactly from top of my head but it is often.

The sometime do open just when I accidentally hover on them, not clicking or anything.

BertieBotts Mon 11-Feb-13 12:56:54

That sounds like something that's infected your computer then, as MN definitely don't ever carry those kind of ads.

Do you have any toolbars or add-ons installed on firefox? Is Avast up to date?

BertieBotts Mon 11-Feb-13 12:57:55

It doesn't really matter where else they appear if you've established that they're appearing on a website that they shouldn't smile Now you just have to work out where they've come from!

gorionine Thu 14-Feb-13 12:06:48

Thanks, It does appear that Avast needed updating.
DH "cleaned " my computer and updated my antivirus. Nasty ads all gone!
thank you all!

nannynick Thu 14-Feb-13 13:09:18

Good to hear you fixed it. Pop up ads often a sign of an infection/malware. Sometimes a toolbar gets installed with a bit of software, I often select custom install if given the option when installing new software to check to see what it is planning to install, then I selecting the things I do not want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now