Don't computers come with Microsoft Word any more?

(28 Posts)
BandersnatchCummerbund Sat 09-Feb-13 16:08:21

Isn't it standard for computers to come with basic Microsoft Word on them? I can't seem to open my dropbox files on my new (bog standard, mid-priced, but Windows 8) laptop. Or does everyone buy a laptop, THEN buy a whole Microsoft Office package too, like anti-virus software?

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 09-Feb-13 16:09:12

You have to buy a copy of office and install it.

GreenLeafTea Sat 09-Feb-13 16:15:06

Download OpenOffice. It's free.

Naoko Sat 09-Feb-13 16:16:06

Or use a free alternative like OpenOffice. I haven't paid for an office suite in a decade. Or antivirus, for that matter.

BandersnatchCummerbund Sat 09-Feb-13 16:17:13

Does OpenOffice have something that allows you to open and work on Word files, then?

LIZS Sat 09-Feb-13 16:17:38

Some come with a limited taster for which you then purchase the product key.

LibreOffice (and OpenOffice) has no trouble with basic Word format files. There might be issues with complicated macros and minor issues with formatting, but most people won't have any problems.

nannynick Sat 09-Feb-13 16:27:14

With OpenOffice I have issues editing files of docx type. I can view but not edit. Does anyone know if there is an add-on for OpenOffice which lets you edit and save docx or just open and save as something else?
Maybe I need to see if my OpenOffice is up to date, or do those of you who use OpenOffice find docx files a problem?

LadyMargolotta Sat 09-Feb-13 16:28:45

I think you can get WordPad as part of Windows, for free?

NannyNick, if you are having problems with docx files you are probably running an old version of OpenOffice and you should replace it with LibreOffice 4.0 or at least a more up to date Version of OpenOffice.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Mon 11-Feb-13 19:10:57

Some workplaces take part in the Office for home scheme. I get every new version of Office for about a tenner. Worth checking.

DadOnIce Mon 11-Feb-13 19:12:36

If you have an academic e-mail address you can get it cheap via Software for Students. A university and college address definitely works. Someone told me you can get it via your kids' school too?

LillethTheCat Mon 11-Feb-13 19:18:11

Ive got open office and most of the time its great, but I can't ever download PDFs. Not sure if its anything to do with that though. Id rather have MS office, but its just so expensive.

tribpot Mon 11-Feb-13 19:25:30

OpenOffice or use Google Drive/Google Docs. Perfectly adequate for home stuff. At the very least give a few of the freeware things a try before you buy MS Office smile

GreatUncleEddie Mon 11-Feb-13 19:26:48

Software for students shut down last year

GreatUncleEddie Mon 11-Feb-13 19:27:32

You need adobe for PDFs, not office

Snorbs Mon 11-Feb-13 19:31:09

Software For Students still looks like a going concern to me.

LillethTheCat Mon 11-Feb-13 19:32:45

Thanks GreatUncleEddie I will look about downloading adobe then.

PS Ive got an uncle in RL called Eddie smile

CarlingBlackMabel Mon 11-Feb-13 19:40:12

DS just bought a new laptop which has Windows 8. Bought Office on a discounted package deal along with it... Curry's tried but couldn't install the software, told DH what to do, DH can't make it work, has spent an hour on the phone to the Microspft helpline - all v disappointing to a child who has saved up for 3 years sad angry

nannynick Mon 11-Feb-13 22:02:00

For PDFs you can use OpenOffice, it will save in that format. You can also add a PDF Import addon, though making changes can be tricky as it imports as a drawing. Useful though for just making a minor change.

For general viewing of PDFs use Adobe Reader or upload to GoogleDocs (now GoogleDrive).

CarlingBlackMabel - what version of Office? Seems odd for something recent not to work.

maxmillie Tue 12-Feb-13 07:53:35

Which version of office was it from currys? I recently got a windows 8 laptop and installed office 2013 it was really easy you install from a website and just enter the licence code. Suspect that this is a currys issue.

The new version if office is just out (office 2013 or office 365 subscription based and is v good, as it is new there are a lot of offers about eg look at catchthe365.com they were giving out free copies last week (may be finished now?)

If you are a student and have NUS no etc you can get Office much cheaper direct from MS.

BandersnatchCummerbund Tue 12-Feb-13 09:16:28

Looks like I can get Office from work, although I think it's going to be Office 2010 so maybe not going to work! Worth a try, I guess.

LillethTheCat Tue 12-Feb-13 09:26:18

Thanks nanny I will google Adobe at some point and try to download it.

maxmillie Tue 12-Feb-13 09:30:26

windows 2010 will work fine on a win 8 laptop, I am using it on another laptop at the moment. Doesnt have the touchscreen enhancemnets if your win 8 laptop is touchscreen but no big deal.

GreatUncleEddie Wed 13-Feb-13 13:48:16

There was press about it closing, I wonder what happened.
Link here www.orbits-ltd.co.uk/2012/02/cheap-microsoft-loophole-being-closed-software4students-think-so/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now