Buying an older, refurbished model of smartphone - anything I should know?

(13 Posts)
gindrinker Tue 05-Feb-13 18:06:39

I think you can safely cross a iphone 3 or 3s off your list.
If you're going to spend money on a phone to play with apps (even basic ones) you want them to work.

I think an android of some sort will offer better value for money. Have a look on Cnet at the reviews.

NetworkGuy Tue 05-Feb-13 15:20:22

BC looks like the updates to iOS (the Apple operating system) which will work on later models (iPhone 4, etc) won't work on the iPhone 3 and perhaps not the 3GS.

That'll mean that unless you hunt around (and I don't know whether anyone is even keeping archive copies of older versions) you may be unable to get even some of the 'basic' apps (if they have been updated over the last 18 months for iPhone 4 or 5) to work now.

If a friend has an old iPhone 3/3GS then that might be a better bet, as they will have perhaps installed the more useful apps themselves, and may be looking to upgrade (though some of the networks take back an customer phone for a sizeable cash offer, comparable or better than CEX etc can pay).

Many more Android phones are running v2.2 or 2.3 Some Android phones such as the Xperia Tipo will have Android v4.0 or later on them (and not all that expensive) but if you are looking for an Android phone I'd suggest checking it has more than 512 MB of RAM available - some have 768 and some have 1 GB, and these recent phones often have 2-4 GB of storage for Apps (where older phones may have had 300 to 500 MB).

I have yet to see any definitive guide to what phones have Android 4 or later on them, even shop staff may not know, and some shops even have wrong info (Phones4U showed Android 4 on one side for the Sony Tipo and 2.3 on the other side, one side being PAYG the other contract, but it's v4 in both!)

Wish sites like GSMArena.com would allow user to search for v4 (or whatever) as well as being able to search for Android or iOS or whatever.

nipersvest Tue 05-Feb-13 10:11:03

i have an iphone 3 that is dh's old phone, have to admit, there are a lot of apps that i can't put on it, the ones the kids want just keep saying they are incompatible with the phone. iphone 3's are out of date i'm afraid.

BandersnatchCummerbund Tue 05-Feb-13 10:08:03

I am actually swinging towards the Galaxy Nexus 4 now, as recommended by gindrinker...

DamnDeDoubtance, apologies for the ignorance (have never owned a smartphone before) but what difference does that make then? Like, can you still download "general" non-apple apps (that google maps one that gives you directions; local bus trackers; that kind of thing?).

Avoid HTC is my advice. I'm waiting for the end of my contract to get rid of mine - lack of storage is a big problem with HTCs...

NicholasTeakozy Tue 05-Feb-13 09:33:18

If you can find one, a Nokia N9, it's basically a Lumia 800 with a decent OS.

I have just bought a refurbed iphone 3g for 80 quid of Amazon. It`s a vast improvement on my old phone BUT apple no longer support it and you cannot download most of the apps.

This isn`t a problem for me as its a super phone, 16gb ipod, you tube, browser etc.

I think there are ways round this but I am a bit scared to tinker.

BandersnatchCummerbund Sat 02-Feb-13 21:44:00

Hmmm. I was hoping not to go above £150. £243 would get me a brand new Galaxy Mini from Amazon, but it's quite a big increase.

niceguy, any opinions on a refurb iphone 4 vs the mini? Or same opinion?

Fanny, that's a good idea! They give you better deals on exchanges than on sales, I think.

FannyBazaar Sat 02-Feb-13 21:25:34

I'm looking into getting an iPhone from CEX, I am concerned a little about battery life but they do give a one year guarantee. I'm wondering if I should drag along a box of old CDs to raise some money towards it.

gindrinker Sat 02-Feb-13 21:21:31

How about a new google nexus 4 for £230?

niceguy2 Sat 02-Feb-13 20:08:26

Without a doubt the Galaxy S3 mini will be the fastest. Given it's recent release, not sure you will get it for the same price as a refurb/used iphone 3GS though.

Out of the above phones, I would recommend the mini most.

BandersnatchCummerbund Sat 02-Feb-13 15:48:55

Oh sorry, that should have been iphone 3 vs Samsung Galaxy s3 mini vs one of the HTC Desires - e.g. HTC Desire HD?

BandersnatchCummerbund Sat 02-Feb-13 15:46:39

I have a really good SIM-only contract with Tesco. £10 a month, tons of minutes/texts/internet.

I need a decent smartphone to go with it, and thinking it's probably cheaper to buy an older but decent phone and hang on to it for a while rather than get a more expensive phone contract with a newer but worse phone. Is there reason not to buy e.g. a refurbished iphone 3 for c.£150 from CEX, say? Anything I haven't thought of?

Also: iphone 3 or Samsung Galaxy S3 mini? Which is going to be faster and more efficient for web browsing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now