O2 iPhone 4 contract about to finish - what now?

(9 Posts)
basildonbond Thu 31-Jan-13 19:08:12

I've had my iPhone 4 for coming up for 2 years now and contract is nearly finished - what are my best options?

Much as I'd like to get a shiny new phone I can't really justify it financially ...

So it will probably be a case of keeping this one but looking for a (much) cheaper deal

I use it for the usual calls/texts/Internet/emails but I'm not using huge amounts of data. I want to have the option of tethering my iPad - I don't do it that often but it's handy on occasion

What are the best deals at the moment?

BadIdeaGenes Thu 31-Jan-13 19:30:13

I'm on Giff Gaff pay as you go with a £12 'goody bag' which means that for £12 a month I get

250 UK minutes
Unlimited UK texts
Unlimited internet
Free giffgaff to giffgaff calls and texts

I can switch to any of their other goody bags any month should I wish to

Tariffs listed here

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 31-Jan-13 19:36:10

Another vote for giff gaff

RedPencils Thu 31-Jan-13 19:44:46

I has the same nothung wrong with my phone and all th upgrades were at least £10 extra. I couldnt justify it.
I went onto the 02 simplicity package. £20 month unlimited texts, calls and 1gb of data. It's only 12 month contract as well do if my phone does pack up then I haven't for long to wait.

Another Giffgaffer here.

LetsKateWin Thu 31-Jan-13 19:51:13

When I my contract finished with O2 they reduced my monthly payment to £16 which really helped reduce my bills. I could stop it at any time. Unfortunately my iPhone packed up so I had to get a new phone in the end anyway. It's good to do that for a while a shop around to see you really want.

niceguy2 Thu 31-Jan-13 20:46:58

If you are not bothered about getting a new phone then the £10 goody bag from Giffgaff is great value. The £12 one is the same with unlimited Internet but you say you dont use it much so you may as well stick to the £10 one.

As for tethering, the only people who let you tether 'free' is 3 on their one plan. Given it's a lot more, I'd say forget it and live without it.

Another alternative is Tesco Mobile who do a £10 per month deal on a 1 month rolling contract which gives you 500 mins which is even better value than Giffgaff. Texts are not unlimited but a generous 5000 and Internet is 1GB

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 31-Jan-13 22:43:32

Giffgaff let you tether on their £10 goodybag but it doesn't work with iPhone.

basildonbond Fri 01-Feb-13 09:50:29

thanks everyone - will see what O2 offer first and then have a look at Tesco/GiffGaff

I suspect you're right about the tethering niceguy2 - for the number of times I use it it's probably not worth it - living in London I'm seldom out of reach of wifi anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now