Samsung Galaxy Tab

(6 Posts)
suzieiswaitingforsnow Mon 28-Jan-13 09:53:31

Hello - My DH has been given one of these as a freebie from work but he already has an ipad so we thought would give to our 10 year old (with time limitations on use). Trouble is I have had a look at it and cant see where to put parental controls? Any idea.

On our home laptop we all have different accounts and the children have really strict controls on their stuff - which seeems to work and they don't get any horrible content slipping through. Anybody know what I need to do to make the samsung tab secure in a similar way? thansk

vertex Mon 28-Jan-13 12:53:35

Two ways you can do this. Firstly, download an age restriction app from the Play store.

Secondly, also using the Play store search for apps that are appropriate for age, load those and delete anything else currently on Tab which you deem is not age appropriate.

(in both cases make sure you log out of Play store after you have finished and keep password hidden)

vertex Mon 28-Jan-13 12:54:02

Two ways you can do this. Firstly, download an age restriction app from the Play store.

Secondly, also using the Play store search for apps that are appropriate for age, load those and delete anything else currently on Tab which you deem is not age appropriate.

(in both cases make sure you log out of Play store after you have finished and keep password hidden)

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Mon 28-Jan-13 18:25:02

Yes, it's all about the apps. In fact Android has much better parental control overall.

iOS had some basic inbuilt parental controls and the few apps available in the app store give some control over browser restriction. But because Android is open source, the app developers can delve much deeper into the operating system and offer a more complete and consistent parental control over the whole OS, not just the browser. Some offerings are NQ Family Guardian, Kyte, Kids Place and Norton Family Parental Control.

suzieiswaitingforsnow Tue 29-Jan-13 09:58:51

ooohh - thank you both - but I dont understand anything blush

Vertex - if I can start at the beginning - To download age restriction app from the Play Store - what do I do? Do I go on the tab and type play store into the search box? Is that a Google Play Store? What will the age restriction app be called?

I have noticed that one of the games downloaded (? I think) - which is a chasing sort of game - running through hills and forests - seems age appropriate to me - but keeps flashing up little ads on the bottom - which I have told him just to close down - sort of dating ads that sort of stuff - how can I prevent that?

SOrry to be such a technophobe - the home system seems easy to control as the stuff is all there and guides you how to set controls - but bit flummoxed by this. No point asking DH either - he only uses ipad for emails and TV on the train. TIA

vertex Tue 29-Jan-13 10:24:21

Suzie, simply go to the Google Play store and do a search for Android Age Restriction Apps and chose one with a high user star rating and download it. Simple.

As for games with Adverts. This is a common feature of many free games and as far as I know there is no way to easily disable the ads (this is how they make their money). The way to avoid this is to buy apps/games, from as little as a few pennies, and thereby avoid the adverts.

Let me know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now