How do I set up ipod touch with my son's email?

(10 Posts)
rainbowriver Thu 17-Jan-13 09:58:26

I have done what I need to do (I think) and set up my sons ipod with his email address, it worked at first and we were able to send emails to him, but now all his emails are coming through to my PC in outlook express and not his ipod.

Can anyone help?

prism Thu 17-Jan-13 11:14:17

Is that because the PC is getting the messages first and taking them off the server? You need to find the setting in Outlook Express to leave the messages on the server, then they will still be there for the iPod. Possibly.

rainbowriver Thu 17-Jan-13 12:34:45

Yes that does sound right. That's probably what's happening. Sometimes he will get the email but most times I will get it on my PC so he never gets it at all.

I have no idea how to change the settings, will try and search now.

Thanks for your reply.

flatpackhamster Thu 17-Jan-13 12:44:10

Load Outlook Express, Tools, Options, in to the email account properties, and it's in there somewhere.

rainbowriver Thu 17-Jan-13 13:25:55

Thanks both for your help. Yes just did this and changed the settings but he's still not getting the emails.

Have tried turning on and off. But still all his emails are coming to my PC and not his ipod.

Just can't understand why, he received 2 messages yesterday and the rest came to the PC but today he can't receive any.

His ipod is checking mail but comes up with no messages.

It's so annoying!

rainbowriver Thu 17-Jan-13 14:17:17

Just sent four e-mails to my sons email address. He received one on his ipod and I received the other three on my PC.

Does anyone know how I can set this up so we receive all the emails for him on both?

flatpackhamster Thu 17-Jan-13 14:27:08

Hmm. The easiest way I can think of to do this is by switching his email from a POP3/SMTP solution to IMAP. You change the server settings so that it's all IMAP, and that means that everything appears in the same place at once (nearly at once).

Who's his email through? GMail? Hotmail?

rainbowriver Thu 17-Jan-13 16:09:45

Thanks, it's a virgin e-mail. Should I change these settings in outlook or on his ipod?

Also would it affect our e-mail accounts in outlook?

Not very techy at all I'm afraid.

flatpackhamster Thu 17-Jan-13 17:32:08

You'd need to change them on both. It won't affect your other accounts. You'll need to find out if Virgin offer the IMAP solution on your email accounts, and that information should be accessible from their website.

Here's some information from their site about IMAP.

rainbowriver Mon 18-Feb-13 17:23:26

Still trying to sort this out and it's driving me mad!

I have changed his account to IMAP on his Virgin account and also in outlook express and that seems to be all ok but I can find nowhere on the ipod touch to change to IMAP. It's currently set to SMTP POP3.

When i change the server on the ipod to IMAP it won't accept it as it's a POP account.

Can anyone please help! This has been going on since Christmas.

Thank you!

RR

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now