I can't use outlook express; I can't afford outlook. What should I use?

(14 Posts)
KatyMac Tue 15-Jan-13 08:23:03

Basically that's it

I had outlook & now I have outlook express

it's not good enough sad

BertieBotts Tue 15-Jan-13 08:25:48

There's a free one made by the developers of firefox, I don't know if that's any good?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrAnchovy Tue 15-Jan-13 08:35:59

gmail?
upgrade to windows 8 with built in mail?
outlook.com?
thunderbird (which is what BertieBotts was referring to)?

KatyMac Tue 15-Jan-13 08:43:02

I can't use strikeout
I can't use my company colours
I haven't even tried a signature
it looks wrong

I'm pathetic

KatyMac Tue 15-Jan-13 08:43:21

What's outlook.com?

NarcolepsyQueen Tue 15-Jan-13 08:56:13

Zimbra desktop?

MrAnchovy Tue 15-Jan-13 08:58:04

It's Microsoft's answer to gmail.

Outlook Express is crap, really don't use it. It regularly corrupts its own database. You can repair this by recovering a file from the trash. Sometimes. Or by buying a hacky third party tool.

MrAnchovy Tue 15-Jan-13 09:04:28

Bear in mind that not everyone uses an email client that displays formatted text. Viewing your message in B&W instead of lime green on puce is probably an improvement, but seeing (or hearing, braille reading...) text you intended to strike out as plain text is likely to change the sense of your message.

KatyMac Tue 15-Jan-13 09:11:09

Generally I use strike out to DD

My colour is dark brown on white

& I hate outlook

KatyMac Tue 15-Jan-13 09:11:53

Well I like Firefox so I wonder if I should try Thunderbird

MrAnchovy Tue 15-Jan-13 11:17:12

Whatever you use, set it up to use IMAP to communicate with your email provider (actually I didn't mention your email provider - they will almost certainly have a webmail client you can use) rather than POP. This will make it much easier switching around. If you use an email service that stores copies of sent messages on the server (like gmail or the Google Apps service that uses your own domain rather than @gmail.com and used to be free for personal users but is now £35 a year) you can even use a number of different clients simultaneously and always have both received and sent emails in sync.

KatyMac Tue 15-Jan-13 11:29:08

I won't ever pretend to understand that

amicissimma Tue 15-Jan-13 17:20:26

I'm a Thunderbird fan.

I'm the opposite of Anchovy in that I chose it because it will do POP which has sorted a lot of glitches I was having with IMAP.

It also has a lovely archiving function where it will save emails in helpful folders, so vital information doesn't just vanish after a period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now