Is the Samsung Galaxy Ace any good?

(38 Posts)
stopthenoise Thu 15-Nov-12 07:52:55

At the moment I've got a samsung jet on PAYG. I really want a better phone but my budget is non exsistent really tight. I've seen the galaxy ace on a contract for £7.50 a month with 175 mins, 5000 texts and 250mb of data. The calls and texts are more than enough for me but in non tech speak how much is 250mb? I would only be using the internet for facebook and ebay mainly. And what is the Ace like? What can it do? The jet that i've got now is pretty basic but has a good camera which i like.

LoonyRationalist Fri 16-Nov-12 16:04:18

I have an Ace 2 & I love it, does everything I want on a phone.
I think it does have more internal memory than the Ace though - the internal memory issue is what forced me to upgrade from my beloved HTC Desire.

The Iplayer app is great and can be moved to sd card, is currently using only 1.46mb of my phone's memory.

Just had a look at a comparison - you would struggle to get many apps installed on the Ace - it only has 190mb phone memory & apps seem to be growing in size all the time. Would be fine for day to day use as a phone with a few apps but you wouldn't get many games on there for example.

When I changed my phone I changed to a 100mb data package (from a 500mb one) Only once in the 24 months of my previous contract did I exceed 100mb & that was when my home broadband was down for a week! I only use email/internet when out & about & turn off data when not using it.

HotheadPaisan Fri 16-Nov-12 21:09:43

The Ace is fine, there are two models, make sure you get the latest, I could not get wifi working on the first one think it has an i after the model number.

HotheadPaisan Fri 16-Nov-12 21:16:39

Think DP's is the GT-S5839i - will check on DP's tomorrow. Better processor and like I say the wifi at home was much better than the first one I brought back, not very logical but it was definitely rubbish on the non-i model.

Bubblegum78 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:18:45

They are brilliant phones, VERY easy to use, 3 Mobile have the best deal, unlimited internet, 5000 texts, 200mins to any network, 2000 mins for 3 to 3 network users. £13 a month. x

Snorbs Fri 16-Nov-12 21:20:08

My DS has a Galaxy Ace 2 from TalkMobile. It's a really nice phone. It can play all the games he wants to play on it, the screen's clear and bright and it's snappy and responsive to use. I put a 16GB memory card in it that he mainly uses for music and video.

From what I've heard, the original Galaxy Ace suffers from not really enough memory.

1sassylassy Fri 16-Nov-12 21:57:34

Think DP's is the GT-S5839i do you mean the GT-S5830i,thats the one I have whilst dh has the GT-S5830 and mine does perform better than his.

HotheadPaisan Fri 16-Nov-12 21:59:53

Do you know I was thinking it had a 5 and 8 in it, the i anyway, thanks! £7.50/mth, she generally spends £10 in total as goes over on calls.

1sassylassy Fri 16-Nov-12 22:00:17
1sassylassy Fri 16-Nov-12 22:02:57

I only knew because mine is on the table in front of me,so looked in the settings.I get on fine with mine but I dont play many games on it,just one word game and kindle,I do my gaming on the laptop.

HotheadPaisan Fri 16-Nov-12 22:05:40

1sassylassy - that's very interesting about performance, it was really noticeable on the first, black one we had, DP changed her mind for the white, which happened to be the i and it was much better. AFAIK it's only a slightly better processor.

NinthWave Fri 16-Nov-12 22:08:40

I've got a Galaxy Ace 2, it's great. Can use iPlayer etc on it.

stopthenoise Tue 20-Nov-12 16:13:36

Thanks everyone for all your replies and advice. I have decided to get the Galaxy Ace. I managed to get a second hand one for a really good price so am sticking to my pay as you go at the moment. I will see how I go with it and may upgrade to the 2 at a later date. Thank you again for all advice, it was really helpful thanks

NetworkGuy Tue 20-Nov-12 19:37:04

Glad you have it sorted. Yes, with luck the Ace 2 pricing should drop in a few months and will be an upgrade worth looking forward to.

I still think I'll try the Sony Xperia Tipo if there are still deals around like the ones today, or maybe one of the other Xperia phones...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now