Nokia Lumia, Sony Experia U or HTC Desire X?

(15 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Tue 13-Nov-12 15:29:29

Need to upgrade my old HTC.
Got it down to these 3.
I kind of like the look of the Nokia Lumia, but the different look makes me slightly nervous ... any experiences really welcome - thanks

NicholasTeakozy Wed 14-Nov-12 12:19:15

I'm a Nokia fanboy, so out of those 3 I'd go for the Lumia. Which one do you want, the 800 or 900?

MrsKwazii Wed 14-Nov-12 12:31:19

The Lumia 820 and 920 are coming soon, I'm waiting to see what they're like - and cost - before upgrading myself. I'd love an iPhone but they're a bit too spendy and fragile for me I think. Lumia looks better

sheeplikessleep Wed 14-Nov-12 12:43:45

Its the Lumia 800 I can get.

I think I'm going to go for it. Hopefully I'll get used to the 'look' of it OK, in terms of it being easy to use.

XandaPanda Wed 14-Nov-12 12:53:32

The lumia 800 is selling in Tesco atm for £130 , would not recommend it though as there is no blue tooth and no way of sharing / sending photos and the Windows app market is pathetic compared to the android market .
Other than that it is a nice phone

TariffHound Wed 14-Nov-12 14:03:22

The Lumia 800 is available on PAYG for under £150. If you wanted this phone, it might be best to buy it on PAYG rather than take it out on contract.
Why not see if they can offer you the Lumia 820? They're a fun, colourful, easy to use phone that makes a nice change from the samey samey looking iPhones and Galaxys.

As XandaPanda pointed out, the app store is a lot smaller for Windows phones than Android and iPhone, so if there are some apps you currently can't live without, it might be a good idea to check if they are available for Windows Phone before you make the jump.

BertieBotts Wed 14-Nov-12 14:06:58

I looooooove the Lumia 800, I want that for my next phone, but as others have said the apps are very much limited. I don't think I'll mind though as I only really use a few things on my phone anyway, and I can keep the old handset for DS to play games on if he wants to.

The Xperia U is a bit meh in my opinion, it looks slightly tacky, whereas the high end HTCs tend to be good phones (I haven't seen a Desire X yet) and the HTC touch interface (unlock screen, backgrounds, widgets included etc) is pretty blush

sheeplikessleep Wed 14-Nov-12 14:19:57

I don't use apps to be honest.
It's more for email, text and as a phone.
Xanda - when you say no way of sharing photos, what do you mean? At the moment, I tend to email photos from my phone, I don't use bluetooth now. I'm keen to find out if there is any functionality I will lose without realising! Thank you for posting, appreciated.

MrsKwazii Wed 14-Nov-12 14:26:52

With the lumia 820 and 920 coming out in the next few weeks or so, you may find that the 800 goes down in price. Might be worth holding off tbh

littlebird3 Wed 14-Nov-12 14:34:44

You can send photos with the lumia, not sure why xanda thinks you can't. The only prob I have with it is texting on the tiny keyboard & the predictive text tends to insist on changing random words all the time.there is an app for the old style keyboard though. Hope this helps.

BertieBotts Wed 14-Nov-12 15:12:49

I never use bluetooth either, I tend to upload pics directly onto facebook (there's definitely a FB app as I've seen it in screenshots) or transfer them to the computer via USB. Email should in theory work better with a windows phone I would have thought?

Bluetooth is a bit outdated now so I'm not surprised some new phones aren't including it. Did anyone ever use infra red for transferring stuff? grin I could do that between my old phone and old laptop - was a PITA as you had to hold both devices still so that the connection didn't break - and it took ages!

sheeplikessleep Wed 14-Nov-12 18:00:32

Thanks all. Little tooth, are the keys for texting really small then?

sheeplikessleep Wed 14-Nov-12 18:00:54

Sorry, little bird not little tooth grin

Floralnomad Wed 14-Nov-12 18:04:32

My DS has just got a Lumia 800 , he had a blackberry before but wanted to try a touch screen without spending too much money . He only uses the phone for texting and FB and he hasn't moaned about it yet so I'm assuming that its ok for both of those. It is very smart looking .

littlebird3 Wed 14-Nov-12 20:19:18

sheep I find they keys small but not had it long so maybe it just takes some getting used to. I still prefer the old keypads for texting but apart from that its all good. Maybe worth having a go with one before you buy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now