New computer - how do I transfer iPod and iPhone content? Have googled but still not sure!!

(12 Posts)
Onesingularsensation Wed 07-Nov-12 21:39:25

I've purchased a new laptop - I need to transfer my and dh iPods and iPhones to the new computer. Am stumped!! Need to do this ASAP as want to give my old laptop to dad before he leaves on sun.

I have loads of music collected over 4 years - various CDs in addition to a small amount purchased on iTunes.

Any gifted people out there who could possibly help? I'd be so appreciative!

Redbindy Wed 07-Nov-12 21:49:50

Do you have an external hard drive or large capacity USB stick available?

Piffpaffpoff Wed 07-Nov-12 21:51:50

Here's the blurb from the Apple website.

Piffpaffpoff Wed 07-Nov-12 21:53:14

Although this looks like a more user-friendly step by step guide.

Onesingularsensation Wed 07-Nov-12 22:06:35

Thanks guys - yes to external hard drive.

Sorry - have been reading your links smile tried home sharing and that didn't seem to work for us - 2 different accounts/just couldn't activate it.

Will try external back up and transfer- seems rather complicated though? I would have expected this be a simple program given how common it must be.

Have come across sharepod - any experience of this?

Redbindy Wed 07-Nov-12 22:12:47

The external drive section of Piffs first link will do it, it's probably easier than they make it appear.
You'd think it would be easy but Apple don't appear to like people using Windows based products.

Onesingularsensation Wed 07-Nov-12 22:15:35

Thanks both smilevery very grateful. will try it tomorrow (baby will be up soon and I need sleep - been at this a while tonight.)

Will report back if I find it easy in case of others doing a search on this topic at some point.

BertieBotts Wed 07-Nov-12 22:19:39

Can you not just back it all up to iCloud and then download onto new pc through iTunes?

Cessy Thu 08-Nov-12 08:09:32

Here's also a software (shareware) on computer (Windows only).
It's said this tool is able to transfer media files(pics, videos, music, apps) from iOS devices to your new laptop.

BertieBotts Thu 08-Nov-12 08:49:32

Try this - I would have thought it's the easiest way

support.apple.com/kb/HT4859

Onesingularsensation Thu 08-Nov-12 10:37:04

Thanks again. I don't have enough space on i cloud and would need to buy more which ideally I won't do. Also the iPod won't back up to iCloud I think?

Thanks cessy ill look into that if the hard drive back up fails. It's all a bit difficult with my toddler screaming mine when using he computer smile

Onesingularsensation Fri 09-Nov-12 18:14:48

Well I managed o download to hard drive and reinstall on laptop no problem however some of my music hasn't transferred properly so I'm missing about 250 songs sad not sure why or how o recover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now