Tablets-which is better (non-techy minded, old woman post)

(6 Posts)
hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 18-Oct-12 13:57:49

My lovely daughter has requested a tablet for Christmas, I am completely non tech minded so need some help. She'd love an iPad but fully understands that ain't happening.

Requirements: Apps, she uses Google Play apps on my Archos tablet and likes them.

Wants it for Facebook.

Possibly wants to use it instead of her laptop for internet browsing.

She has her laptop for her uni work so the tablet is purely for portability and fun.

I'm currently browsing and have seen an Archos Arnova 9 but am unsure if she can use Play apps with it? Or there is the Blackberry Playbook.

Which is better? My top budget is £150, is there something else we should be looking at? Many thanks.

Naoko Sat 20-Oct-12 01:53:48

Can you stretch to an extra £9? In that price bracket I'd probably be looking at the Nexus 7. If it's just for browsing and fun she doesn't need the more expensive one with larger storage, and the Nexus 7 is a very solid device, well supported (re: app access and such.)

NetworkGuy Sat 20-Oct-12 08:08:44

Blackberry Playbook would not be compatible with Google Play app store so that's out.

I'd certainly back the idea of the Nexus 7 for the extra few pounds, if at all possible. There was a > CNET USA < comparison and that's affordable where the others are 2 or 3 times the price (the fact the Nexus was included tells you it is clearly viewed as worth looking at).

I have a different Archos bought last December. Works well, but I'd go for a v4 Android tablet now, if at all possible, and the Nexus fits the bill. There's also a Chrome (browser) add on which allows links etc to be sent from the laptop to the tablet, which is quite nifty. Also using the Play store, it's possible to 'send' a download to a different device, so she could send the same app to her phone and tablet (storage space permitting).

If she has a flat screen TV (or anything with an HDMI port) there's an Android v4 unit on Ebay for about 30 quid (would need a powered USB hub to give it necessary power supply) so that's something she could perhaps buy for herself for use at Uni and keep the tablet safe at home (only a suggestion - portable also means highly nickable, unfortunately, doesn't it, and a tablet probably lacks GPS so a "track my stolen phone" app won't work).

APMF Sat 20-Oct-12 11:58:29

Stay away from the BlackBerry. Apps are limited and that is not likely to change. The operating system isn't that popular so few developers program apps for it.

bea Tue 23-Oct-12 12:59:43

kindle fire? £129!! am thinking of getting one for myself... anyone have any views?

slhilly Tue 23-Oct-12 13:03:52

iPad Mini supposed to be released today. Maybe that will be in the right price bracket? If she really wants an iPad, is she old enough / earning enough to share the costs with you? Or is there someone else (such as an uncle) who could chip in as well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now