PCOS and AI: Can it work?

(3 Posts)
partenope Mon 11-Nov-13 13:45:19

Hi there,

We’ve been trying for our first DC with home AI for some time now (not very long), but I’m beginning to have second thoughts about that. The problem is that I’ve been recently diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) and I’m not sure what are the chances for success of home AI in this situation. My cycles are not so regular and although I do observe my body, I have lots of doubts as far as picking the right moment for AI is concerned. I have been using OPK but read that they are almost useless when you have PCOS. They do give me a surge, but well, I’m not sure how reliable it is. To make matters even more complicated, our donor lives in another town which seriously limits the number of attempts we undertake in a month (at the most we can do it only for 2 days in a row). Do you think it is possible to conceive via home AI while having a mild PCOS?

We’ve started to think about going via clinic route, however, we would still like to do it with our donor. Here, of course, there’s also a financial factor to think about. We’ve read that same-sex couples should try to conceive for at least 6 months before they could be even considered for potential NHS-financed treatment.

What are your experiences in this respect? Have you used the clinic and your own donor? Is it possible? What would be the procedure? Are there any chances of NHS financing treatment (or even a part of it)? We’d be grateful for any comments and suggestions.

MrsSquirrel Mon 11-Nov-13 15:47:34

I conceived using home insemination with PCOS, so it certainly is possible. Maybe ignorance is bliss, I never heard that about OPK and PCOS. I just went ahead and was successful.

My friend used a private clinic and her own donor, so that is also possible. The clinic hadn't really come across the situation where the man was a donor and not a 'dad', so it was a bit of a learning curve for them. I imagine this varies from one clinic to another, so you would really need to talk to them about it.

partenope Thu 14-Nov-13 10:46:35

Congratualtions and thank you very much for your response. I read discussion on PCOS in another thread and got worried, especially that I’m 35 years old now. Your experience gives me hope. We will keep trying with AI but will have eyes open to other options as well, as it seems to be getting more and more complicated … In any case, I got referred by my GP now to a consultant, so hopefully I’ll be able to do some blood tests etc. The GP said it’s not possible at this early stage to know whether I’m ‘sub-fertile’ (what a dreadful word!), so I’m quite relieved to be referred now and not in one year – his feeling was I would need to try for a year before doing any tests whatsoever, but luckily, he changed his mind …

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now