What to say to other children?

(3 Posts)
zebedeeboing Mon 09-Jul-12 22:06:05

My dd goes to a childminder and one of the older children the other day asked me if she had a dad how do you handle this? I'd always thought I'd say no shes got two mums but now I'm a lp that's not an option.

MrsSquirrel Tue 10-Jul-12 11:40:11

I am always honest and just say no she doesn't have a dad. If they ask for more information, I say she has a donor. Depends on the age of the child, but usually they don't want too much detail. If they ask further questions, I just answer them simply and honestly.

IME kids don't want to know about adult relationships, they want to know about the family structure.

Jooles999 Fri 21-Sep-12 22:18:16

Well my response from my 5 year old is "I have two Mums so i've got double trouble" thanks child

My response when asked by pupils is " well DS has two moms and some families have one mum and some live with grand parents. Families are different"
Usually they accept that. Mind you I get more questions when im doing volunteer reading with them and my reponse is "you are trying to delay doing reading arnt you?" usually i get a smile and then they read fine,,, sneaky monkeys.

Most of them will be fine. parents are harder, but luckily still not had any problems

good luck

Jooles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now