any wannabe samesex mummies out there?

(34 Posts)
itsmekatielou Thu 26-May-11 14:15:22

My wife and i are hoping to start a family soon. Just wondered if anyone else was in the same boat? it'd be nice to have someone to talk to about it.

Katie

lumili Thu 15-Sep-11 09:57:52

To IfoundmyGspot,

What the hell are you talking about!!

rhetorician Fri 16-Sep-11 18:55:38

IfoundmyGspot - whatever else you might think, dependence on state handouts is really not a frequent feature of lesbian households with children...

NormaStanleyFletcher Fri 16-Sep-11 19:02:55

I have reported g spot

itsmekatielou Wed 21-Sep-11 15:47:16

hi everyone, i've done my usual trick of not reading posts for ages and then come back to loads of replies!! I obviously didn't see the post by GSpot, but judging from the username, it clearly either wan't very imaginative or stupid. Perhaps even both.

Going to what some of the others have highlighted, i've often wondered why some girls go straight for IVF instead of IUI, is it what the doctors recommend? i understand if it gives you more of a chance, but it just seems really intrusive and aggressive, if IUI might work, you know?

on another note, its really wonderful that there are quite a few of us all in the same boat. When i first started looking about for other same sex wannabe mums, i found it really hard to even find one. Its really comforting to know there are others and that it has worked for other people. Thanks guys.

expuffinbookclub Thu 22-Sep-11 20:36:05

I have a 3 month old son conceived through IVF at my local NHS hospital. I didn't have ant fertility issues either and was offered the same treatment as heterosexual couples. Have you been to your GP for a referral? I had 3 cycles of IUI first but had an ectopic pregnancy 3rd time so had IVF after to minimise the risk of a repeat. We used anonymous sperm, until 18, from a recognised clinic which we paid for. Otherwise treatment was all funded. The advantage of using sperm from a clinic recognised by the HFEA is that we are both on the birth certificat.e and donor has rescinded all parental rights but you might want to co-parent so realise there are different options. Good luck with your journey x

queenofthefairies Sun 25-Sep-11 21:12:28

Thank you all for your direct and indirect guidance... i think my partner and I were not all that well inform on Home insemination vs Clinic insemination.

We were very much leaning towards clinic insemination before.

vrose123 Sat 19-Nov-11 20:03:39

After reading the forum responses about I was wondering if anyone has managed to have free treatment for DIUI or IVF on the nhs (for same sex couples) and if so, whether you had to appeal against your local PCT or NICE guidelines? If you have, it would be good to hear from you!

lizziebennet Tue 22-Nov-11 12:59:11

About going straight for IVF katielou - we had 3 X IUI and are now moving on to IVF and I kind of feel that we've wasted our time a bit. IUI is not much less intrusive than IVF and yet IVF is 3 times more likely to work. I guess I feel if you are going to have to take all the drugs/have all the scans/spend all that time in stirrups you may as well be going for the most-effective treatment, especially when it comes to using using frozen sperm, where IUI is more pot luck. Of course, if IUI had worked for us, I'd probably be singing its praises.

RainbowFamilyFinder Tue 21-Aug-12 13:39:01

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now