Blue Angel's Trumpet (Acnistus australis)

(8 Posts)
RortyCrankle Fri 28-Oct-16 22:32:46

I would really appreciate some advice please.

I bought one of these earlier in the year www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-plants/shrubs/acnistus-australis-blue-angels-trumpet/t69252TM and it has grown fantastically well, now being over 6 foot with lots of offshoots and flowers. Because it's not hardy and I don't have a greenhouse or a conservatory, it is currently sitting in my living room but I'm not sure if it would be better somewhere cooler. but frost free. Plus it doesn't get as much light indoors

I'm now wondering whether it would survive if I put it back outside and wrapped it in fleece? The same question also applies to two citrus bushes, a lemon and orange which are currently in my spare room but they don't look very happy and have started to drop leaves. Would they be happier outside wrapped up for the winter.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Lorelei76 Fri 28-Oct-16 23:00:53

Sorry I can't answer this but did you buy the 9cm plant as per your link?

GardenGeek Fri 28-Oct-16 23:17:37

Jesus I thought you were growing Brugsmania in your greenhouse for a minute shock

That is some crazy plant.

No advice on this though sorry.

shovetheholly Sat 29-Oct-16 08:07:38

Wow, what a stunner! I've never heard of this plant before, but it's gorgeous!

The RHS say it's an H4, which means it's tender under -3. And this website says there's one growing outdoors in Cambridge:

shovetheholly Sat 29-Oct-16 08:08:22

www.cgf.net/plants.aspx?genus=IOCHROMA

So I think you might get away with it, provided it doesn't get really, really cold where you are. If you're in the south east, south west, or by the coast it's worth a go!

shovetheholly Sat 29-Oct-16 08:11:06

Oh, and I think citrus are considerably less hardy in general, depending on the variety? I think most don't like to dip below about 7 C, but I have never grown them and could be wrong about this.

RortyCrankle Sat 29-Oct-16 09:54:49

Yes Lorelei - it was quite small when it arrived and after a summer in my garden it's now 6ft tall so very vigorous growth and lots of offshoots. Actually I'm now wondering about when is the best time to take cuttings and how to take them. I'm trying not to think how big it will get after another summer next year but I know one thing, I won't be bringing it into my living room over next winter grin

I'm puzzled GardenGeek - why is it crazy?

It is pretty gorgeous Shovetheholly. Hmm I'm in Buckinghamshire, so maybe if I tuck it in a sheltered corner of the garden it will survive.

Lorelei76 Sat 29-Oct-16 11:37:09

Feed me Seymour....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now