Ooh, got me parasene heater on and me fleece on (me plants!)

(4 Posts)
Draylon Fri 21-Oct-16 19:26:41

Excited!

Bought a new small-greenhouse heater, and some horticultural fleece; the first to protect aeonium cuttings in my small, lean-to greenhouse; the second to wrap around an indoor variegated rubber plant-y thing I 'inherited' from my mum (RIP) but which is now too big for my conservatory.

I spent 2-3 hours today custom making the fleece cover, very satisfying!

The forecast says 'down to 1 degree in rural areas (Hants, not East Lothian, to be fair...) so an opportunity to try out my new stuff!

shovetheholly Sun 23-Oct-16 09:11:46

Ooooh, your plants are all wrapped up for the winter! I'm so impressed with your custom-made fleece cover - I just sort of swaddle mine like mummies.

Last year, I kept aeonium Zwartkopf in an unheated greenhouse all winter and they were fine. Admittedly, it wasn't the harshest of winters, though. I am wondering if they are more sensitive to wet than to cold?

Draylon Sun 23-Oct-16 16:52:39

Yes, I'm glad i have somewhere in the dry to keep my aeoniums!

Wonder what sort of winter we'll get? I lost a few things in my double glazed greenhouse during that really cold winter of about 5 years ago, but admittedly it hit -10 here in Hampshire!

shovetheholly Sun 23-Oct-16 20:27:57

That winter was freakish. I still have nightmares about it - I think lots of people lost plants! My backup plan in the event that the Arctic takes over is to bring everything remotely tender into the house. DH thinks this is impractical, but he underestimates the length and breadth of his desk by the window grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now