A good plant to gift for a November birthday?

(10 Posts)
witchhazelblue Wed 19-Oct-16 09:45:31

It's my Mum's birthday next month and recently she was complaining that nobody ever buys her plants for her birthday because it's the wrong time of year. So now I'm on the hunt for something (ideally flowering but looking pretty at least) I can give her for her late November birthday that she can enjoy straight away rather than having to wait for Spring/summer months.

She lives in a high level flat with a North-West facing balcony that is partially exposed, so all her plants are in pots. At the moment she's got a few Acers, lavenders, crocosmias, foxgloves, that kind of thing, and they all do well.

Can anyone suggest a plant I could buy her? Sadly I'm not as green fingered as she is so no idea! smile

shovetheholly Wed 19-Oct-16 14:21:01

What about a winter clematis, clematis cirrhosa? 'Freckles' is pink, or 'Wisley Cream' is, er, cream. They flower from Novemberish and I have one that is doing quite well in a pot at present!

witchhazelblue Wed 19-Oct-16 14:36:06

Thanks holly, a nice idea but she doesn't have anywhere suitable for a climbing plant to grow so think a clematis wouldn't work sad

shovetheholly Wed 19-Oct-16 14:38:37

This might not be suitable, but you can just put canes in a pot and have the climber grow up them.. like this

shovetheholly Wed 19-Oct-16 14:39:28

(But with a much bigger pot)

Sosidges Wed 19-Oct-16 16:20:34

How about a pot of winter pansies. They last right through to Spring

bookbook Wed 19-Oct-16 23:09:17

How about a hellebore? there are different colours from white through pink to dark purple not quite in flower yet, but you could add some cyclamen in the same pot for immediate impact. In garden centres and nurseries, there are winter tubs planted up, so maybe worth a look smile

Yamadori Thu 20-Oct-16 00:50:54

Maybe an azalea?

littlem133 Sat 22-Oct-16 10:19:06

I say hellebore. I love em

handslikecowstits Mon 24-Oct-16 15:30:16

If you're still looking OP -I'd recommend Sarcoccoca confusa (sweet box) as it is evergreen, has scented flowers which bloom in winter and can be grown in a pot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now