Moles!

(24 Posts)
Draylon Wed 12-Oct-16 17:53:05

Or mole. Wrecking my lawn. Any non-destructive ideas? before I move onto the destructive ones? grin

TIA

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Wed 12-Oct-16 17:56:54

Embrace them. They're cute.

Go out into your garden and cheerfully throw your arms in the air and joyfully shout 'moles'!

Then take lots of photos and post them on MN.

Fucking love moles. Gorgeous creatures.

I'd have a lawn if I was guaranteed moles.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Wed 12-Oct-16 17:57:54

Ooo, do you think facial moles are called moles because they're little brown bumps like mole hills??

Or is that just a coincidence??

ClarkL Thu 13-Oct-16 11:48:23

We have moles - each time I think they are gone they pop back again.
We have tried the vibrating noise sticks. They didnt work.
I'm not brave enough to try anything else, we have a cat who is allowed out (and 4 house cats) and he brings in so many presents for us that I feel killing the moles is a step too far in controlling the nature population.

Embrace the soil they chuck up though - I've started using it to top the flower beds up instead of trying to stomp it back down

shovetheholly Thu 13-Oct-16 17:08:44

I don't know if this is an old wives' tale (what an offensive phrase, most old wives I know are VERY wise grin ) but someone told me planting caper spurge gets rid of them. Also, I've heard that putting stinky things near the holes can help.

I think you can get humane mole traps too. But it seems like a shame to get rid of them in a way. They are SO cute!

chemenger Fri 14-Oct-16 09:08:36

Are they really so bad that they justify killing them? Does a little bit of cosmetic harm really outweigh the pleasure of knowing your garden is home to a tiny animal living out its life in balance with what is left of nature?

Draylon Sat 15-Oct-16 10:54:15

chemenger I assure you that I don't really have any intention of killing it! Just wish it'd decided to perform its garden designs on the huge sward of grassland adjoining my fence, not on my little lawn!

It's very much still with us, I note...

VilootShesCute Sat 15-Oct-16 10:55:57

Ferret shit does the job.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 15-Oct-16 11:51:53

Surely having ferret shit piled up in your garden is worse than a quaint mole hill.

Still waiting for mole photos, btw...

VilootShesCute Sat 15-Oct-16 14:25:48

I think you just have to scatter around sparingly.

chemenger Sat 15-Oct-16 15:40:36

There is a traditional remedy which to ask the mole to leave ie just go and talk out loud to it. Explain that you would like him to move to the field. I did this once for a laugh and the mole did disappear. I think it is an Irish thing. We did have a cat who caught moles, it takes a lot of patience, she used to sit staring at the mole heap for hours.

chemenger Sat 15-Oct-16 15:42:50

I should perhaps add that my Irish father did have a habit of feeding us outrageously false country wisdom. I have only just discovered that it is not impossible for pigs to swim.

Draylon Sat 15-Oct-16 16:00:06

Being subterranean, Joffrey, I could photograph the molehills, but not the mole!

shovetheholly Sat 15-Oct-16 18:39:30

chemenger - I laughed.

I asked the moles to leave my allotment, and they did. So clearly that makes two of us, which is practically a randomised control trial. grin

chemenger Sat 15-Oct-16 18:46:17

Shove we are soul mates! So it is an actual thing not something I imagined or something my dad made up?

shovetheholly Sat 15-Oct-16 19:09:25

Yes, yes, yes - it's definitely a bit of folklore I heard as a kid! (Along with greeting magpies). Mind you, I grew up in Suffolk and people still carried bits of dead moles on them as a charm against aches and pains!! Also, my Dad is prone to pulling my leg as well...

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 15-Oct-16 19:59:38

Sub what?

I'll adopt your moles.

Draylon Sat 15-Oct-16 21:51:50

Give me your underground GPS co-ordinates, and he's yours! grin

Draylon Sat 15-Oct-16 21:52:07

Hell, I'll even give him a hand with a shovel!

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 15-Oct-16 22:09:56

I don't have a lawn.

sad

Suppose he could live in my house with me, cuddle up on the sofa, sleep in my bed...

stealthsquiggle Sat 15-Oct-16 23:05:58

You could borrow our cats. They catch moles, but clearly don't like the taste, so I find said moles alive and well and very cross trying to dig through the kitchen floor.

We generally release them in the field on the other side of the road, but you could post them to Joffrey instead? I warn you, though, they swear like troopers and are not generally very grateful to be rescued and released.

stealthsquiggle Sun 16-Oct-16 12:40:49

To be clear, it's the moles that are sweary and ungrateful - not the cats (although, come to think of it....)

ClarkL Tue 18-Oct-16 11:04:10

I am popping on my wellies and heading out to talk to the moles....I really hope no neighbours are about

Yamadori Thu 20-Oct-16 00:57:07

It was our neighbour's cat that must have brought a mole into our garden - neighbour used to find dead ones is her garden sometimes - we got back from holiday one year to find our garden in a right old state!

He must have caught it again though, because after a couple more days of the garden being turned into a bombsite it disappeared grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now