Please can someone help me identify this plant?

(6 Posts)
Landoni112 Mon 03-Oct-16 18:35:46

Received this plant as a little gift from someone who I was very close to, and who has since tragically died.

I am usually the master of killing house plants, but have had this plant for a over a year (have re-potted) and it obviously has huge sentimental value to me.

I know it was a cheapo plant from a supermarket and it has small clusters of yellow flowers. I am scared it's started to spread and go spindly so I need to work out how to care for it.

Anyone know what it is?

Qwebec Mon 03-Oct-16 19:33:03

Kalanchoe, I'm pretty sure. It usualy has a different shape but lack of light makes it less dense.
It needs the maximum amount of light you are able to give it. The thick leaves are a clue that it will tolerate a lack of water but not having wet feet everyday. Let the plant dry a bit, then dampen the soil again.

IncognitoBurrito Mon 03-Oct-16 19:35:10

I think it might be Kalanchoe Blossfeldiana - or supermarket Kalanchoe! It's a succulent that is easy to grow and repeat flowers throughout the year.

gardeninggonewild.com/?p=17023

I am sorry for your loss flowers

Landoni112 Mon 03-Oct-16 21:04:39

Thank you so much Qwebec & Incognito!
Have googled it and I think your both right.
Will try and give it more light (although I think it's already in the lightest part of the house), should I dare to pinch it back a bit to encourage denser growth? (Yes all gleaned from google!)

IncognitoBurrito Sat 08-Oct-16 18:18:46

Haha, Landoni, I am a Google gardener myself! Not sure about the pinching back, is it the right time of year...? Perhaps someone will come along who knows.

Qwebec Sun 09-Oct-16 01:00:46

Yes, you can pinch it back now to give it a fresh start. However it will take a while (probably next spring when the longuer days return) before it starts growing again and will not look as nice until then. So while it causes no harm to do it now, for the sake a beauty you might want to postpone it until March.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now