Greenhouse frost proofing!

(9 Posts)
Draylon Sun 02-Oct-16 15:53:28

If you had a greenhouse like this; and a paraffin heater like this to light when frost is forecast, and you lived in Hampshire, would you bother with bubble wrap insulation for the glass?

shovetheholly Mon 03-Oct-16 09:55:52

I think the answer depends greatly on what you're putting in it!

I don't really grow much over the winter, so I don't heat mine (though I might drag my cold frame inside it and wrap that and invest in a little paraffin one in case it gets really cold). But then I mostly use it for storing plants that are quite cold hardy but don't like winter wet, e.g. aeoniums, echium pininana. Plus, I spent ages in the early spring ferrying things from greenhouse to house overnight! However, if you're growing stuff that's tender under 5 C you will probably want a heater and, to make it efficient, some wrap.

Draylon Mon 03-Oct-16 13:40:35

Aeoniums, non-frost hardy succulents, jade trees (crassula?).

shovetheholly Mon 03-Oct-16 13:44:35

Hmmm, the non-hardy succulents and crassula won't appreciate very low temps, so if you want to keep them outdoors, a heater and bubble wrap might be your best bet! What do others think?

It's difficult these days, though. We could have a really mild winter where the temperature barely dips below 5 C. Or we could have a stinker with a foot of snow and ten degrees lower than that...

Rumtopf Mon 03-Oct-16 13:49:20

I've just ordered a giantic roll of bubble wrap to line the greenhouse this weekend. Need to grab the oil filled radiator from the campervan too so it can kick in at a base temp.
We're meant to have 3C here on Friday night and where I stripped the peppers a couple of weeks ago, they're now flowering again!

Draylon Mon 03-Oct-16 14:59:04

It's impossible to guess what winter might be like, isn't it?

Luckily nothing is very precious in the greenhouse, the plants are mainly cuttings from parent plants which will stay in my frost-buster-level heated conservatory over winter.

I am hoping I don't have to go to the faff of bubble-wrapping as there's nothing to hang the stuff from, and I gather a paraffin heater will cause condensation thus increases the risk of rot...!

shovetheholly Mon 03-Oct-16 15:53:13

If you bubble wrap it, we'll have the mildest winter on record. If you don't, it'll snow for 30 days non-stop! Sod's law!

You know, I think I might be tempted to just use the conservatory for the non-hardy stuff, and the outdoor greenhouse for the hardier things? Saves faff, if you have the space?

Draylon Mon 03-Oct-16 17:15:47

shove, yes, I sort of have done that, in that the parent plants are all safe in the conservatory (though, before I bought an oil column electric heater for it, I lost plants out there in that really hard winter of 5 odd years ago! Admittedly, it was -10 deg C outside! In Hampshire!

Just nipped out and put everything non-frost hardy into either the greenhouse or conservatory as it got down to 2 deg C here last night and is clear again tonight. I have a large rubber leaved plant I can't move but I shall buy some fleece for it tomorrow.

shovetheholly Tue 04-Oct-16 07:21:28

Yes - that very cold winter lurks at the back of my mind this time of year. It was SO cold wasn't it? PIL live in the south west and they lost loads of plants in it because it rarely gets below freezing there and suddenly it was -10. In Sheffield, we had a bitterly, bitterly rough winter a couple of years before that where the cold just beat down from really high, blue-green skies for weeks, and I think that helped to toughen things up so they got through.

The range of temperatures we could potentially get over winter messes with my mind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now