Any idea what this is?

(9 Posts)
GinAndOnIt Fri 30-Sep-16 11:47:09

Probably a weed, but mainly checking it's not a dangerous one to pets.

Found growing next to geranium if that helps! I took countless cuttings from MiL's garden a few months ago so things are starting to kick into action now, but I think these geraniums were taken from between paving stones under an apple tree. She told me to remove bits of weeds off the cuttings before I planted them, but of course I didn't bother grin

Any ideas? It's a tiny white flower with a yellow centre, and what looks like green berries. Thanks.

P1nkP0ppy Fri 30-Sep-16 12:00:47

I th it's deadly nightshade, the berries are black when they're ripe. Very poisonous if eaten.

WowOoo Fri 30-Sep-16 12:00:52

It looks like a potato plant.
Do not eat the berries! Could you dig it out and see?

I really don't know. I'm always intrigued by these threads. Someone who knows will be along soon.

WowOoo Fri 30-Sep-16 12:03:39

Ooh. Wear gloves. Does it look like this?

www.google.co.uk/search?q=deadly+nightshade&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGn8aZ-LbPAhVpJcAKHbJZBjsQ_AUICCgB&biw=1544&bih=839#tbm=isch&q=deadly+nightshade+white+flowers&imgrc=221yXycs7KdjuM%3A

Dilligufdarling Fri 30-Sep-16 12:05:03

Definitely part of the nightshade family (which includes potatoes).
As pp has said definitely avoid the berries (and I think the leaves as well).

traviata Fri 30-Sep-16 12:06:44

probably not deadly nightshade - see here

possibly solanum nigrum

as others have said, it looks like part of the Solanum family, aka nightshades, and this family does include potatoes.

Waltons Fri 30-Sep-16 12:07:06

Looks like Solanum Nigrum, or Black Nightshade. (Deadly Nightshade is a different species - Atropa Belladonna.)

Reports vary about its toxicity - try this link to decide whether it's a risk or not: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_nigrum#Toxicity

Waltons Fri 30-Sep-16 12:07:39

Cross-post with traviata.

GinAndOnIt Fri 30-Sep-16 12:10:39

Oh gosh, I'll remove it swiftly then! Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now