Garden design costs

(12 Posts)
MrsCampbellBlack Thu 22-Sep-16 11:55:42

This may well be a 'how long is a piece of string' question but any ideas/experience as to how much it would cost to get garden designs done? Our plot is one third of an acre.

We're in the middle of a house renovation and won't want to do the actual landscaping until next summer but would be good to have designs for garden done soon from an overall design/build perspective.

Thanks!

This is a difficult question because often you're not just paying for the designer's time but project management and materials and labour as well. All of the 'execution' costs will depend radically on how complicated your design is and how expensive the materials are.

Obviously, if you will be doing some of that work yourself it falls.

I would think you are looking at £2-3k for stuff from initial consultation to detailed design drawings (and that would be at a fairly cheap rate an hour) and about 10% of the overall budget cost for management. The cost of the garden itself - probably £20k if you pay others to do it.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 22-Sep-16 13:10:03

Thanks Shove!

I was thinking around £20k overall and a couple of grand for designs. Golly, nothing is cheap that's for sure with house renovations.

Don't underestimate your own powers. You can do a LOT yourselves if you have the time and inclination! Even hard landscaping is (mostly) not that hard to do.

Also, think about maintenance costs, because these will vary wildly depending on what you choose. A fine herbaceous perennial border requires a LOT of fussing.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 22-Sep-16 13:32:55

I don't really have the time or inclination to be honest. I want a very low maintenance garden really - already have a gardener but I need someone with vision to do the designs.

I guess as with everything - local recommendations will be the way to go smile

I do have a lovely pinterest board about gardens - if only I could make that into reality for free wink

AMR123456 Thu 22-Sep-16 13:40:18

We had 3 quotes done for landscaping. This was for new drive & levelling of our back garden. We thought it would be around the £20,000 mark. The 1st came in at a jaw dropping £43,000!! The 2nd £25,000 ( who suggested a different way of doing it thus involving less work) & the 3rd was £33,000. All we feel too expensive. We will have renovated the inside of our house for that!!

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 22-Sep-16 14:32:51

Lordy!

Am spending crazy amounts on extension and total house renovation so really want to spend no more than £20k on garden. However will need driveway doing and had hoped to replace large shed with home office type thing within that budget. Suspect that is ambitious though.

I think it might be, sadly sad. It really does depend on what you want from the garden, though. Have an initial consultation with a designer and mention the budget and see what they suggest.

VanillaSugarandChristmasSpice Fri 23-Sep-16 21:48:32

Our garden is 40ft long and 20ft wide. We wanted it landscaped for £10k but that's not enough, apparently 😨

It is an expensive business. When you are having landscaping done this way, you are often paying for pretty skilled tradespeople and pretty high end materials (stone etc), and you're also often buying established plants which is far more expensive.

To reduce cost, you can do an awful lot of the work yourself, picking and choosing where you need additional help. You can also buy cheaper plants.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 24-Sep-16 11:57:30

I have spent this morning googling resin bonded gravel drives. I used to spend my time googling chanel handbags wink

Have got one landscape designer who is going to come back to me with some costs - at this point I just really want designs in case what we do with the garden has any implications for my house renovation. I have a feeling that I am going to have to get interested in gardening wink

Our garden is pretty established so can't imagine I would need a lot of digging/stonework but who knows.

mrscampbell - I think the question of how a renovated/extended house relates to the garden is one that is overlooked by a LOT of architects. You see a lot of builds where the interior space is wonderful, but from the outside, they just look totally 'plonked'.

I am having a hell of a job getting mine to engage with it as a question - they are really, really good and talented people, but it's just clearly way outside their comfort zone, and not a way they seem to be trained to think. I do think it will pay dividends for you to get more involved, for this reason.

One example: I am having a green roof as part of my build and I simply cannot get the architects to understand that plants that will thrive in a sunny site in the south of England will not do well on a north-facing roof in Sheffield, and that some very, very specific things are going to be needed to cope with cold, dryness AND shade. Despite the fact that I have explained this in several different ways, they persist in showing me pictures of green roofs with completely unsuitable plants. If I weren't involved, I could well have been sold hundreds of quids worth of plants that would just die (I will probably grow my roof myself in my greenhouse!). This is why a garden designer who knows plants is really useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now