Can Anyone tell me what this tree is please?

(7 Posts)
NoFuchsGiven Wed 21-Sep-16 16:56:28

I will soon be having a fence put up and the tree will need to be moved, I would like to put it in a pot but I have no idea what it is.

It looks similar to my cherry tree but not the same.

could it be a fruit tree maybe?

theconstantinoplegardener Wed 21-Sep-16 17:17:17

It looks a bit like Viburnum x bodnantense to me. Have you noticed it flowering at all? They have fragrant flowers during winter.

NoFuchsGiven Wed 21-Sep-16 17:25:53

I have only moved here 6 weeks ago and it certainly has not flowered in the time I have been here, I have just googled Viburnum x bodnantense and it does look very similar. Would this be suitable to go in a pot? its only about 3 foot high at the minute and a lovely shape.

It really is a lovely shape. Your view looks great, btw. Living in a city, I'm always staggered by people who back onto fields! smile

Viburnums tend to like it a bit damp so it may be under water stress in a pot unless it's watered a lot. If it is a bodnantense, it gets big. Mine's about 6ft (but it has considerably more purple-tinged leaves than yours so may be a different variety or perhaps just more shaded?). I would guess it would be kept smaller in a pot, but it might also suffer a bit.

Can you not just shift it forwards to a place in front of your fence?

NoFuchsGiven Wed 21-Sep-16 17:45:38

I can move it but it would have to be the other side of the garden as that is where my workshop is going. I have already rescued an acer tree and a fig tree and have those in pots on the patio, they look lovely and seem to be thriving so far.

dp is doing so much work to the garden and borders that I have to keep rescuing things before they get ripped out!

MissMargie Wed 21-Sep-16 17:56:08

Looks a bit like a boring old alder.

Native tree that pops up everywhere.

If the previous owners were keen gardeners then it is possibly something more interesting.

NoFuchsGiven Wed 21-Sep-16 19:54:50

Thank You everyone.

After looking at Alder tree I think it may be that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now