Bindweed and dandelions

(7 Posts)
SunshineOutdoors Sun 18-Sep-16 17:32:50

After two years on a waiting list I finally have the allotment of my dreams. It's been well looked after in the past, and I've been chuffed to find raspberries, blackberries, a fig tree, a plum tree, an olive tree, a blueberry bush and rhubarb, amongst other things. There is also lots of bindweed and dandelions. We're just weeding them out, what do we do with them after this? Do they just go on the compost heap or do we need to burn them or something else? We are enthusiastic but novices so any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

bookbook Sun 18-Sep-16 23:15:31

Just seen this smile Bindweed and dandelions are perennial weeds which will keep coming back. So no - don't compost them , as it will just reinfest. You can do various things.
Drown them - put them in a big bucket and cover with water. Good if its got a lid. Leave for 4- 8 weeks. You can then use the juice for feeding plants.
Send them to the council composting/green waste if you have one easy to hand.
And you could join us on our allotment thread for support maybe smile
here

I had a huge infestation with bindweed when I moved in. Do what book says. It's important you dig as much of the nasty roots out as possible (they are the Devil's spaghetti) as the wretched plant can spring from even a tiny piece left in the soil.

SunshineOutdoors Mon 19-Sep-16 09:27:10

Thank you! I think there might be too much to drown, I will bag it up and enquire about green waste. Off to check out the allotment thread now smile

MrsBertBibby Tue 20-Sep-16 09:16:00

Is bindweed the very white root? Absolutely infested with it here.

Yes, very white and very long! Urgh.

MrsBertBibby Tue 20-Sep-16 09:51:15

Ah yes. At least I know I'm not wasting my time grubbing it up and insisting it goes in the green waste, not our compost heap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now