What plants make you heart sing?

(23 Posts)
Qwebec Thu 15-Sep-16 01:13:51

I love all the plants in my garden. But there are a few that get my heart beating faster.
If you HAD to choose, what are your favorite plants in your garden and why?

Russian sage
incredibly beautiful, no care needed, pest and disease proof.

Qwebec Thu 15-Sep-16 01:23:53

The russian sage flowers last from august till frost.

Thalictrum rochebrunianum
the photos don't do it justice, a beauty flowers for at least 6 weeks get's quite high, relatively carefree.

Gingernaut Thu 15-Sep-16 01:41:07

Scented plants.

Lavender. Lilac. Jasmine. Scented roses (not the pretty but unscented hybrid teas). Buddleia. Hyacinths. Lilies.

DixieWishbone Thu 15-Sep-16 01:43:47

Scented plants here too. We used to live where Jasminum Polyanthum could grow outdoors. We had 10 foot of fence covered in it, our neighbor had about 20 feet of of fence. It smelled incredible in the Spring.

David Austin roses - Lady Emma Hamilton and William Shakespeare 2000

I loved the scent of nicotiana in the evenings but it won't grow where I am sad.

Philadelphus.

JT05 Thu 15-Sep-16 08:02:32

I'm for scented roses as well, especially the old fashioned varieties with heat musk perfumes. Also, cranesbill geraniums, their many varieties and forms that flower throughout the year.

BrillianaHarvey Thu 15-Sep-16 23:29:40

Peonies. When they're tightly furled like footballs and when they burst open like crinoline-lady loo-roll holders.

Oldraver Sun 18-Sep-16 18:38:41

I adore Day Lillies and have several colours,I have one that's over 20 years old. One fairly new one didn't flower last year but this had a really sturdy flower stem on and I was looking forward to seeing the flowers, but I managed to brake it off as I was covering it sad

It appears our cat loves them as well hence all now being covered which has not made them very happy.

Oldraver Sun 18-Sep-16 18:42:55

This was one days flowers a couple of years ago

VerbenaGirl Sun 18-Sep-16 18:59:51

Alliums - structural, dramatic and the seed heads look great too.
Peonies - big, blousey and beautiful.
Ferns - great for a shady spot and give a tropical feel.
Oregano - lovely vibrant green mounds with a herby lemony smell.

Fadingmemory Sun 18-Sep-16 19:03:05

Cosmos, purple irises, Sweet William

justnippingin Mon 19-Sep-16 02:43:15

Roses and Daffs, the first sign of Spring.

Tartyflette Mon 19-Sep-16 02:47:39

Old roses, and some newer David Austin Roses like Gertrude Jekyll which has the most amazing scent ever. And an old climber called Mme Alfred Carrière.

Tartyflette Mon 19-Sep-16 02:49:51

And very blowsy and showy parrot tulips, especially a white and blush pink one called Weber's Parrot.

Greengager Mon 19-Sep-16 08:24:22

Nerines a reminder that autumn is on its way!

I second thalictrum and alliums

A really simple, flowering cherry is a joy.

FarsleyLass Thu 22-Sep-16 23:31:46

Roses, lavender and fuchsias.

FarsleyLass Thu 22-Sep-16 23:32:13

FarsleyLass Thu 22-Sep-16 23:32:15

myfriendnigel Thu 22-Sep-16 23:42:04

Daffodils, sweet peas and honeysuckle.

JellyWitch Sat 24-Sep-16 21:31:55

Alliums - I can't get enough of them and bring the seed heads in to decorate indoors too.

Blue salvia with yellow rudbeckia; ladies mantle with crocosmia; the first shoots of new rhubarb; foxgloves and roses together.

Qwebec Sun 25-Sep-16 04:59:12

Oh rhubarb, I get all excited when the blooms appear, they are so beautiful.

OldLagNewName Mon 26-Sep-16 13:08:50

Early spring flowers. Especially iris reticulata (the deeper purple the better) and aconites. A bit later, snakeshead fritillaries (plants with squares on! How cool is that?!) and ludicrous parrot tulips.

CalmYaTits Mon 26-Sep-16 13:11:14

Aloe Vera

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now