Year round pots that don't need much watering

(9 Posts)
plipplops Sat 10-Sep-16 18:48:26

I want to put more pots outside my front door. North facing, quite windy and it's a pain to water as I have to take a drippy watering can through the house. ATM I've got a salvia hotlips, a chrysanthemum and a couple of pots with a nice grass at the back and bedding at the front.

I'd like some height so I'm thinking maybe a bamboo but they seem v expensive online? And probably more architectural stuff (something with big leaves maybe? Something with flowers (I like flowers). Mainly though things that I can neglect and will look nice most of the time.

Got a lovely pot in the back of sempervivums(?) which don't need any looking after and are apparently hardy so might do another of those for the front.

What else? Ivy? Camellia (although morning sun might not be great for that?)

aircooled Sat 10-Sep-16 20:34:20

All pots need watering, even in a north facing position. Sempervivums are usually happier in a sunny position.

No plant, especially in a pot, will `look nice most of the time' if neglected. Plants are like children, they thrive on attention. Although the good thing about plants is that they don't answer back!

Ferguson Sat 10-Sep-16 20:51:22

Black bamboo is one of the easiest to keep in a pot, and you might find cheaper at local garden centre, especially as sales might be tailing-off this time of year.

Heuchera come in huge range of colours and forms, but I've not grown them in pots, so don't know how they would perform, but they can have a long season in the border:

www.heucheraholics.co.uk/

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 10-Sep-16 20:55:47

We have an olive tree and a cordeline in large pots. I pretty much never water them and they are still alive 3 years later.

traviata Sat 10-Sep-16 23:05:37

If taking the watering can through the house is a pain, could you a) instal a water butt at the front , or b) water the pots using a bottle or a jug filled from the kitchen tap?

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sat 10-Sep-16 23:09:27

Fatsia japonica, skimmia? Could you install a slimline waterbutt discretely to collect water from a downpipe, and stash a watering can out there?

FairyAccess Sat 10-Sep-16 23:11:04

Box?

plipplops Sun 11-Sep-16 08:32:55

Thanks all, some nice ideas smile I do water them (there's no room for a water butt), but I forget a lot out the front (I walk past and think "must do that" then I forget). Have recently converted the kids to empty any leftover water from their drinks bottles into the pots when they get home so that'll help.

Anything scented?

JT05 Sun 11-Sep-16 16:49:27

Golden showers rose is suggested by the RHS for growing in a north facing garden. They have a lovely scent and I have just planted one in a planter on a north facing wall.
In the last house I had one and drenched it now and again with a washing up bowl of water! It was fine. I think feeding plants in tubs and a good soaking twice a week in dry conditions works well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now