Am I too late to thin out my apple tree?

(3 Posts)
fatsatsuma Mon 22-Aug-16 11:04:43

I think the answer is yes, unfortunately. First summer in new house. Lovely well-established apple tree (cookers) covered in fruit BUT most are still not much larger than golf balls. Some have fallen off in the last week. Am I too late to pull off some more in the hope that the remaining ones will beef up a bit?

shovetheholly Mon 22-Aug-16 11:25:49

Hmmm, honest answer: I don't know. I suspect that it might make a bit of difference now but that it won't be as much as if you'd thinned earlier. There are probably 4-6 weeks of the season left, so you might just be reducing your harvest for no gain. But someone who knows more may well come along with a more informed opinion!

My Bramleys are still quite small too. But that's OK because they have another month on the tree at the very least. Since it's your first year, I think I might be tempted to leave them alone and see what happens, then learn for next year. It is surprising how many fruit a large, vigorous tree can ripen.

fatsatsuma Mon 22-Aug-16 12:39:56

Thank you, it's encouraging to hear that your bramleys are also still quite small. I think unless someone else comes along with advice to the contrary, I will leave them this year as you suggest and see what happens in the next month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now