How to kill my bastard holly tree

(7 Posts)
FusionChefGeoff Wed 17-Aug-16 16:47:25

After getting fed up with spikes in our feet, we chopped the decker down last year with a chainsaw.

But it's coming back!! From the very dead looking stump it's sprouting brand new branches. So it's the world's shortest holly tree now.

I can't dig the stump out as a) it's too much like hard work and b) it would probably destroy my neighbours wall.

How can I kill the bastard once for all???

FusionChefGeoff Wed 17-Aug-16 22:39:26

Hopeful bump

shovetheholly Thu 18-Aug-16 09:24:18

Maybe take out all the new shoots and drill loads of holes in the top of the stump?

Alternatively, you could just prune it regularly to keep it as a small bush. Holly can acquire a lovely, compact, tight form this way.

bookbook Thu 18-Aug-16 21:43:49

It took us 4 years to get rid of one of ours. We cut it down, cut off new shoots, sawed into the stump, put on stump killer. It finally took the hint smile

FusionChefGeoff Thu 18-Aug-16 23:48:42

I quite like the idea of a mini holly bush actually. I'll give that a go.

Sooverthis Fri 19-Aug-16 12:31:39

I have several mini holly bushes now and have also used books method

Cathpot Sun 21-Aug-16 19:06:39

I heard a programme on the radio that suggested trees like holly that coppice are buggers to kill as they evolved to survive the attention of elephants millions of years ago that were wandering about uk. I found that pleasing.

www.monbiot.com/2015/06/15/thinking-like-an-elephant/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now