Tall and see through plants?

(10 Posts)
RoganJosh Tue 09-Aug-16 19:16:58

Googling this or rhs searching isn't working very well!

I have a narrow border which in aiming to create a partial screen with. I've got some verbena bonanariois (you know what I mean) and this year some Ammi magus, but I'd like something else.
I tried some grasses but they're too bushy and wide.
Anyone think of anything shrubby that's kind of see through? Or a perennial?
It gets sun and the soil is clay.

Ferguson Tue 09-Aug-16 20:43:55

We have black bamboo, which isn't invasive but it does send up new shoots each summer, that seem to get progressively taller. We take off the bottom little branches to expose more of the black stems.

Stipa gigantea only has comparatively small leaves at the bottom, but sends up tall slender flower spikes, that can be particularly attractive with the sun through them:

www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/garden-plants/stipa-gigantea-golden-oats-grass-large/

RoganJosh Wed 10-Aug-16 06:35:24

Thanks, I think that's the grass I planted! Last year it sent three long seedy bits up, this year it's just a clump of grass at the bottom, taking up room on the ground but with no height.

I think bamboo might be over cooking it a bit in terms of height. I'll have a think though as I have some in pots that is a pain to keep watered so I was planning to plant it out somewhere! It's even the black stemmed variety.

traviata Wed 10-Aug-16 19:13:26

knautia macedonica
did you try a small miscanthus grass?
poppies
gaura
scabiosa
perovskia
dierama

many of these like quite dry conditions, so you might ned to put some grit into the planting hole if you have clay.

JT05 Wed 10-Aug-16 20:00:54

Fennel grows quite tall, both bronze and green varieties.

Ferguson Wed 10-Aug-16 20:03:03

Our 'gigantea' didn't do well at first; then I moved it to the sunnier front garden, put in more grit, and gave some TLC, and it is splendid now.

RoganJosh Thu 11-Aug-16 08:16:57

Oh fennel is gorgeous! That and some knautia macedonica might be a plan. Thanks!

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Thu 11-Aug-16 09:03:37

Isn't fennel quite invasive?

What about giant nicotiana, smells gorgeous too.

JT05 Thu 11-Aug-16 09:45:02

Fennel spreads by seed. If you don't want them then you can pull them up or potty them up and give away.

Hiahia Thu 11-Aug-16 11:14:54

Eremurus?

Won't be year long but will be glorious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now