What's a good online plant shop?

(14 Posts)
VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Tue 09-Aug-16 14:24:50

Any advice really appreciated thanks.
I'd love to get some new pretty plants/shrubs for my big garden planters but I'm not really sure what's available now and will still look good come Sept/Oct.
I live too far from a decent garden centre.

Ferguson Tue 09-Aug-16 21:04:42

Heuchera come in a vast range of leaf colours, and can be virtually 'evergreen' and go on all winter. They send up little slender flower spikes, but are mostly grown for the leaf colours and shapes:

www.heucheraholics.co.uk/

We have Binoche, which is a dark purple/black, and its flower spike is a metre tall:

www.plantagogo.com/HEUCHERA----Binoche--PBR-745.html

OllyBJolly Tue 09-Aug-16 21:09:05

I like Hayloft Plants www.hayloft-plants.co.uk/

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Tue 09-Aug-16 21:18:29

Thank you very much Ferguson & Olly!

TheSpottedZebra Tue 09-Aug-16 21:20:14

There is that www.secretgardeningclub.co.uk that has been mentioned on here a few times too...

traviata Wed 10-Aug-16 19:14:34

I've gone off the secret gardening club - I haven't been impressed with the quality of some things they've sent, and I got a refund on my last order due to the condition of the plants.

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Wed 10-Aug-16 19:28:07

Good to know, thanks.

lovelycuppateas Sun 14-Aug-16 17:58:08

Late to answer (sorry), but I have been really pleased with the stuff I've ordered from Sarah Raven this year. Despite being in different weather conditons to her south of England garden, everything I have got from her has grown really well, and she has really good ideas about good combinations of plants. I think she's particularly good for ideas for containers.

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Sun 14-Aug-16 18:57:42

Thank you so much Lovely!

BengalCatMum Sun 14-Aug-16 19:14:14

Crug Farm do a mail order and there plants are hand grown from seed collected in the wild on plant hunting trips; and there plants are not only extremely rare but fantastically grown.
www.mailorder.crug-farm.co.uk/default.aspx

For bulbs I always go for Gee-Tee www.gee-tee.co.uk

Plants for shade is great too. www.plantsforshade.co.uk/

DP swears by Ebay and he has got some great deals from skilled hobbyists/ part-time growers. His tips are check the reviews to see if people are happy with the plant quality/ condition etc.

fiorentina Mon 15-Aug-16 20:33:19

I like crocus.co.uk and have had success with many plants from there.

funnyperson Tue 16-Aug-16 01:25:54

Burncoose
Thompson and Morgan
Wriggly Wrigglers
Suttons
Claire Austin
Taylors Clematis
David Austin
Plants for Shade
Hayloft
Beth Chatto

Main thing is to set a budget and think of a planting plan and do not click until the following day!!! THey will all send catalogues if requested

Tessticklesyourfancy Tue 16-Aug-16 11:00:41

Another vote for Crocus. I've ordered from them a few times and everything has thrived, the last lot of plants I got in June are doing really well, a white small hydrangea, some ferns, lungwort and geraniums, all growing and looking very healthy.

shovetheholly Tue 16-Aug-16 13:57:17

I'm still rooting for Secret Gardening Club, though some of the plants lately have been rather on the dry side when they arrived. I know it's summer, but they aren't in transit for that long. I am not sure whether they're having problems onsite, but I hope they sort it out soon because until recently they've been great!

Hayloft, Hardy's are brill. The best plants I've bought online, however, have been from ebay sellers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now