Fencing Dispute

(16 Posts)
Jas53 Tue 02-Aug-16 15:22:57

We have a decorative approx 4ft 6 fence - consisting of approx 3ft 6 closed fence with 1ft diagonal trellis at the top - my neighbours say they want more privacy & have now erected a bamboo type screening on their side but just inside our fence - (at the moment it is supported/touching our fence).
The top is uneven ugly bamboo canes sticking up more than 2ft above our decorative fence - spoiling our view.
I have suggested that we could, AT OUR EXPENCE, install approx a further 2 ft of top edged trellis to match our fence, which they could use to grow plants against - if they would be willing to take down the ugly looking bamboo screening, which would still still show uneven bits sticking up above our fence.
Personally, I do not want a higher fence, but I feel we are trying to compromise and appease their wish for privacy and still keep the look of our trielis type fence.
BUT they are still refusing to take it down - are they being unreasonable??

NoFuchsGiven Tue 02-Aug-16 15:24:50

How long have your neighbours been asking you for more privacy before they took it into their own hands?

dementedpixie Tue 02-Aug-16 15:25:32

If it's their property then it's up to them I suppose. You could still put your bit of trellis up to hide most of the bamboo

peggyundercrackers Tue 02-Aug-16 15:32:39

no they are NBU - surely if your neighbours want more privacy they can put up whatever they want in their garden?

fuckyoucanceryoucuntingknob Tue 02-Aug-16 15:34:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ayeokthen Tue 02-Aug-16 15:38:12

"The height of fences is a matter of planning policy. To find out what is allowed in your area contact the local authority planning office. As a general rule, fences in rear gardens are allowed to be up to 2 metres high." Check with your local council, but from the sounds of it you're just going to have to lump it, unfortunately.

Sooverthis Wed 03-Aug-16 08:42:16

So presumably you have a lovely view of their garden?

Sooverthis Wed 03-Aug-16 08:44:45

And you are quite lucky they put bamboo up my neighbours have done this, we were previously screened from them and my dh has bashed a load of plywood together and built a barrier two foot from their window (previously frosted changed without planning permission to clear and overlooking our patio and garden).

Jas53 Thu 04-Aug-16 09:17:15

Hi NoFuchsGiven
No notice given, all's been fine for past few years - it came as a complete shock - but with some discussion, we could have sorted something out which could have been more sustainable and in keeping with the fences on both sides of my garden & still given them their privacy.

Jas53 Thu 04-Aug-16 09:27:08

Hi Sooverthis
View of my fence & pretty flowers is spoilt by straw looking uneven canes sticking up above my fence - a proper higher fence (which we could of absorbed the cost) would look much better if there had been some discussion beforehand.
Anyway as I'm under 5ft, I couldn't really see over my existing 4ft6 fence anyway.

Jas53 Thu 04-Aug-16 09:30:25

Hi fucuck
Yes, you are quite right, but they have used cable clips to attach it to our fence & leant it against our posts and fence, as it is not free standing.

DoItTooJulia Thu 04-Aug-16 10:09:26

I'd not give it a moments thought-and I'd put higher trellis our side to keep it looking how you want. Life is too short for this. If you can afford it, do whatever you've got to do to stop it being a problem.

We had something similar-our neighbours had an extension and fitted their extract flue so it pointed directly onto our patio, blasting cooking smells at us. We put a trellis on the top of the fence and grew something thick in it to absorb the smell and noise. Now I don't even notice.

Grow some more flowers and enjoy them!

Jas53 Sun 14-Aug-16 13:32:53

DoItTooJulia-
Thanks for your advice, either do as you suggested or (as it is so flimsy, - wait until it blows down in the wind) - nothing really holding it up - except it's been fixed to OUR fence!!

Missgraeme Sun 14-Aug-16 13:36:01

Cut off anything that's attached to your fence! Cable ties etc. . Trespassing.

BengalCatMum Sun 14-Aug-16 13:41:15

I would try to advice exactly but fence law is a minefield; and I am not saying that lightly.

In essence its a party wall in some cases; owned in other cases. Its very complicated and a huge area for dispute.

But as long as there bamboo doesn't reach above the 2m then theres probably not a lot you can do; unless they are damaging your fence in the process of securing it.

Doit sounds like best advice - goodluck flowers

Jas53 Sun 14-Aug-16 14:19:51

Thanks all - for your help & advice, I may well cut the cable ties off, but am trying to be neighbourly and not to be awkward & petty back.
By the way it's not actually growing bamboo, (which would look more pleasant) - but a roll of thin, flimsy, split bits of either reed or bamboo wired together.
Ah well! - they hardly ever seem to be in their garden anyway.
As suggested, just enjoy our garden & pretty 💐🌷🌾🌻🌸

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now