I need something very quick growing for my allotment

(17 Posts)
Scottishthreeberry16 Sun 24-Jul-16 14:56:45

Have been really busy with work this year and having got around to planting as much as usual.

Anyway, have just received a letter from council saying plots should not be just 'partially cultivated'.

I've got raspberry bushes, apple cordons x 2, potatoes, leeks in. Oh, and two courgettes.

The beans I planted have been eaten.

I took down an old greenhouse and intend to put a replacement up but won t be able to do this until end of season anyway. I have got about 10 tomato plants at home that I could plant in the lottie. Will they be okay outside do you think? (Northern England).

Other than that, can anyone suggest very fast growing crops so I don't lose the allotment?

CuttedUpPear Mon 25-Jul-16 08:39:38

Start off some purple sprouting broccoli.

Or put down a green manure crop.
It sounds like you already have some good stuff in there!

lalamumto3 Mon 25-Jul-16 08:42:14

Buy some plug plants and pop them in they will grow quickly if you water them.
Also you could sow some swiss chard and carrots (according to my veg book )

Gatekeeper Mon 25-Jul-16 09:16:09

Radish, beetroot , cut and come again lettuce. Second the green manure one as well

LineyReborn Mon 25-Jul-16 09:22:05

The tomatoes should be fine, nicely spread out.

I've just sown a second crop of herbs which I find grow well and quickly outdoors in the summer, such as coriander and basil. They go well with all the tomatoes!

I'd just chuck some potatoes in any spare ground after that. If you get ones already chitting, they really grow fast.

timtam23 Mon 25-Jul-16 17:04:40

Could you get some mint and plant that? (Best in a pot or bottomless bucket to contain the roots). Also any of the pots of herbs from supermarkets could be popped into the plot & would do OK in this warmer weather I'm sure. Are you allowed to also have flowers in part of the plot? The B&Q shelf of doom is usually a good source of underwatered plants which perk up quite nicely after a bit of TLC

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 25-Jul-16 17:07:29

Blimey, glad our council is a bit more relaxed! I've got a patch which I'm planning on paying ds to dig over in the summer holidays.

I'd just shove some flowers in, it's lovely to be able to pick some and bring them home.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 25-Jul-16 17:07:59

Oh yes, herbs are a good idea, I have them this year.

Scottishthreeberry16 Mon 25-Jul-16 21:09:55

Thanks all. Yes , some flowers are allowed. Will pop to B&Q at weekend and try and pick up cheapies.

I did plugs but they just get eaten by slugs. Have never used slug pellets as have always gardened organically and worried about toads/birds eating them. Saw a toad the other day but obviously one toad can't keep up with bastard slugs

justdontevenfuckingstart Mon 25-Jul-16 21:12:37

Can you dig something for asparagus? Thats a long term investment i think??

Scottishthreeberry16 Mon 25-Jul-16 21:48:19

Dig something for asparagus? What, like a hole with a plant sign on top? I suppose I could dig an asparagus bed but there's about 40 feet to plant up

justdontevenfuckingstart Mon 25-Jul-16 22:07:09

OK sorry was only trying to help.

bookbook Mon 25-Jul-16 23:05:03

you can still pick up veg plants if you are near any nursery/garden centre /market stall - squashes , leeks, lettuce., pak choi, brassicas etc. Last week saw some beans too smile I am still doing some succession sowing, so have winter cauliflowers/perpetual spinach/baby leaf spinach in plugs due to plant up. We have a table at the allotment where people leave spare plants - maybe worth asking around

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 26-Jul-16 00:43:13

That'll teach you to suggest something just wink

Egg shells are good for slugs as is a saucer of Guinness ime.

sycamore54321 Tue 26-Jul-16 01:38:59

If flowers are allowed, periwinkle is lovely and grows like crazy. It is also a real ground-covering plant to it will help prevent any weeds sprouting trough underneath.

The potted herbs mentioned above sound like a good quick fix too - the cheap supermarket ones usually thrive for me once I plant them into the ground or in a significantly larger pot.

Oh and may be a bit late for the fruits but if it is just for the optics, strawberry plants will take root fast and spread out and get you well set up for next year.

You could also think about preparing the ground for a few drills of potatoes - I assume this will count as cultivating even if the plants are not in yet.

Gatekeeper Tue 26-Jul-16 07:37:13

Bit sharp there Scottish ; not in the spirit of things as Just was throwing in a suggestion

Scottishthreeberry16 Wed 27-Jul-16 02:31:09

Oh sorry Just, it wasn't meant to sound sharp. Made me giggle, that's all as not sure lottie mafia would be pacified by a bed where nothing visible is seen.
Sorry if I offended you sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now