Recommend a book for a gardening novice

(10 Posts)
yoink Thu 21-Jul-16 14:53:58

Our garden is currently all lawn but we're getting a small raised bed put in, maybe about 3m long. I'd also like to get some patio pots and things.

I know bugger all about what or how to plant and maintain stuff, so can anyone recommend a good book for absolute beginners? Thanks.

HippyChickMama Thu 21-Jul-16 14:56:46

Look at the 'Expert' books by D. G. Hessayon, they're great for beginners, comprehensive but easy to use.

JT05 Thu 21-Jul-16 15:35:59

Browse the book shelves in your local charity shop they are a good source of gardening books. They are cheap so you can pick specifics up, such as ones on container gardening, small gardens etc. then if you finish with them they can be returned.

I would agree that the 'expert' books are very good and also cheap in the charity book shops. Happy gardening!

Ifailed Thu 21-Jul-16 15:40:07

there are loads of 'general' gardening books, but they tend to have a little bit about a lot - if you get my drift. Are you interested in flowers, shrubs, fruit trees, veg? (if all, then get a general book!)

yoink Thu 21-Jul-16 16:49:26

thanks guys, I've just got got the expert low maintenance gardening (or something) and expert container book on amazon for less than £4 second hand on Amazon. That should start me off ok, eh?

JT05 Thu 21-Jul-16 18:59:53

They sound like perfect bargains! Gardeners all want to save the pennies for buying the plants!

tittysprinkles Sat 23-Jul-16 17:42:00

RHS do a book called What plant where, it's an encyclopaedia of plants and trees with some really good ideas outside the standard garden centre/home base type plants.

plipplops Tue 26-Jul-16 20:12:52

I really liked the How To Be A Gardener books by Alan Titchmarsh smile

plipplops Tue 26-Jul-16 20:13:28

Also a subscription for BBC Gardener's World Magazine - great for 'what to do now' type stuff...

yoink Wed 27-Jul-16 09:29:03

Ooh, thanks guys. Magazines are a good idea! I was just wondering if there's anything I could grow from seed now or if I have to wait til Spring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now