Are home grown tomatoes always a bit tasteless?

(6 Posts)
DarkBlueEyes Tue 19-Jul-16 16:57:31

We have moved and inherited a greenhouse. I've got three cherry tomatoes, all different varieties (though my memory is a bit shady, one has the name Shirley in it, one is gardener's delight I think) and I've picked a few. They are pretty tasteless not as good as the Waitrose Vittoria cherry toms sadly

Is it worth bothering?

If I don't grow tomatoes in the greenhouse, what shall I grow? Melons? Cucumbers? Aubergines?

The plants are growing like flipping triffids and I have been watering and feeding regularly.

user7755 Tue 19-Jul-16 16:59:31

Ours always taste amazing. Maybe my standards are lower? hmm

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 19-Jul-16 17:00:27

No, gd should be good and Shirley OK. Avoid moneymaker like the plague.
I wonder if they've just grown too fast.

NamelessEnsign Tue 19-Jul-16 19:19:50

No, they are usually delicious (I usually growing varieties from the Real Seed Company which are generally selected for taste rather than yield).

However the long cold spell this year meant my early strawberries were almost completely tasteless so if your tomatoes are cropping already it could be the same thing - just not enough sunshine to ripen properly.

This weather may help!

handslikecowstits Wed 20-Jul-16 12:39:54

I grow Sungold every year. They're lovely. Maybe try those next year.

dodobookends Fri 22-Jul-16 12:33:10

Maybe take some of the lower leaves off, and reduce others by half to let more light in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now