Fatsia Japonica - yellowing

(9 Posts)
wiltingfast Sat 09-Jul-16 22:55:28

I have this plant a good while. It seems healthy in that it grows well etc.

However, its foliage is quite yellow. Obviously the old leaves at the base yellow and drop off, but on my plant all the leaves are yellowish.

It is in sun most of the day. I know it's a woodland plant really. I'm in Ireland, so I don't really think the sun level is such to be causing it problems grin

Soil is quite heavy and clay like.

Have tried feeding and Epsom salts and tomato feed to no noticeable effect.

Any ideas as to what else I might try?

Much appreciated. It's a star plant really, lovely shape, just too yellow...

JT05 Sat 09-Jul-16 23:24:28

Could it be lack of water. I have one in the ground and a small one in a pot. The pot one needs a lot of water.

AnotherPrickInTheWall Sat 09-Jul-16 23:58:04

It doesn't need much potash so forget the tomato feed. Is the ground waterlogged for all this rain? Too much exposure to high winds won't help it either.
I would try Chempack high nitrogen feed. It is high in Nitrogen ( obviously) and trace elements.
Also don't mulch plants with un composted bark or it will cause bacteria to leach nutrients from the soil.

wiltingfast Sun 10-Jul-16 20:26:23

The ground is quite sticky. It's heavish clay and there has been a lot of rain, it's sheltered otherwise, don't think wind is a problem.

I already fed it phostrogen plant food during the week, should I throw more feed on top of that?

Lunaballoon Sun 10-Jul-16 20:41:08

This happens to mine every year but is still going strong. I always assumed it shed some of its leaves in the drier summer months because it's an evergreen. Maybe give it an occasional liquid seaweed feed and it should be fine.

wiltingfast Mon 11-Jul-16 11:15:15

After some more googling, I've thrown an iron tonic on it for good measure. Will let you all know if it has any effect. ('twas recommended in the Telegraph for a hydrangea and a rhododendron, so have extrapolated a bit grin )

I see other fatsia's around me looking good. That's what I get a bit frustrated at mine... really must be some local nutrient issue...

handslikecowstits Mon 11-Jul-16 14:21:48

You're on the right track with the iron. Fatsia's like acidic soil. Yours sounds alkaline. I know it's frowned upon now but I'd buy a bag of peat and use it as a mulch and I'd fertilise i in future with stuff for ericaceous plants.

handslikecowstits Mon 11-Jul-16 14:22:09

Should be Fatsias obvs.

wiltingfast Mon 11-Jul-16 16:10:21

Good idea on the peat. Will definitely do that in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now