What can I put in my narrow NW border?

(6 Posts)
OldLagNewName Wed 06-Jul-16 12:13:21

It used to have a large japonica in it, which I've just taken out because it had vicious spines and was ugly 50 weeks of the year. It still has a lot of self-sown primroses in it and some weeds. The bed is only about 12 inches wide and 12 ft long, and is against a wall. It gets sun in the late afternoon only.

I don't particularly need a climbing thing, as there's a flourishing rose on a nearby wall that I can train round the corner. But I could grow another climber if there's a good one for that situation (apart from Virginia creeper, which I don't want). I definitely want something that will be ground cover as I suck at weeding. I don't like pink flowers.

Any suggestions? Thx!

GeorgeTheThird Wed 06-Jul-16 12:17:52

Euonymus has nice variegated foliage and climbs.
Hostas will like the shade.
Ivy is indestructible and also likes shade.
Ajuga tolerates shade and gives good ground coverage?

OldLagNewName Wed 06-Jul-16 12:46:03

Thanks! Garden is far too slug-infested for hostas to have a chance, and I already have too much ivy. But Ajuga and Euonymus are possibilities. As is Lamium, now I come to think of it, as it's quite well separated from other beds so invasivness is less of a worry.

traviata Wed 06-Jul-16 20:41:19

hydrangea petiolaris for the wall

Ground cover;
geraniums, especially phaeum varieties - can be white, dark purple if you don't want pink.
ferns
heuchera
tiarella
epimediums
vinca

some roses like shade - I have Graham Thomas in a bed to the north of a wall, which is very happy.

GeorgeTheThird Wed 06-Jul-16 21:30:57

Ooh tiarella is pretty
<adds to list>

OldLagNewName Thu 07-Jul-16 11:38:10

Thanks! H, T and E look especially interesting - I have all the others already. Lots of my garden is shady (N facing).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now